Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Advice needed: splined long miter joint?

"Drew Bernat" wrote in message

I have a tablesaw and a router table. Cutting the groove on the TS would
be straightforward - crank it over to 45 degrees and cut into the side of
the miter. I'm worried about how much the piece would kick, though, since
it seems like that's a really dangerous way to cut wood.

Not any more inherently dangerous if you use a miter gauge to make the cut
on your table saw ... no fence, though!

Also... I'm not very familiar with woods other than walnut and oak. For
a contrasting look, would light-colored maple complement well? Any other
suggestions?

Walnut and oak are a good contrast. Maple would also contrast with walnut,
but oak looks better, IMO. Cherry does also, but it tends to darken with
exposure, while walnut may get lighter, reducing the contrast.

The choice is basically a matter of personal preference.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06