Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta "Auto Set" miter gauge info needed

A friend gave me his old Delta Auto Set miter gauge, to use on my older
Unisaw I just purchased. Checking the miter gauge, I found that the
face of it wasn't at a 90 degree angle to the table surface. I had to
put a washer (about .040") between the bar and the body of the gauge,
on the adjusting knob, shaft.
My question, is there supposed to be a shim there?
The saw is a 1946 model, and after getting it home and setting it up, I
was curious if it would pass the nickel test I have read about. I
didn't have a nickel, but it passed with flying colors with a penny.
Does that count?
Thanks for any help with the miter gauge, and any other helpful tips
If anyone wants an old Delta tilting table saw, missing a few parts,
it's your for free. I'm located in Englewood, FL