Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to remove the coating from a new router bit?

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the
bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note
that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the
bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note
that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.

Does everyone else see that his question is repeated as an answer, or is it
just me?
If its not me, what causes that?
If it is me, what causes that?

Anyhow, if it doesn't come off easily, I score it with a box cutter. Once
you get a little going, everything else follows.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the
bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note
that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.

Yeah, and all those sealed plastic bags, how do you get them open also? LOL

Pee it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:14:34 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Pee it off.

Make sure you do NOT have the bit installed in a plugged-in router if
you attempt this method.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:11:04 -0800, remod2006 wrote:

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the
bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note
that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.

You're supposed to take that stuff Off?

Uh oh.

;-]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Pee it off.

Won't the acid corrode it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the
bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note
that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.

Yeah, and all those sealed plastic bags, how do you get them open also? LOL

Pee it off.

OK, I went out to try your method, and didn't get much to come off. Do
you have any pictures showing exactly how this method is applied?

Hah!

; ^)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey, your mommy can cut it off with her tongue, I bet. Or just drool
on it and let the acid work. Whoever raised you certainly didn't teach
you to hide your feminine cattiness.

Who's sadder, a person who never owned a router before and has to
ask basic questions or a guy who's so insanely hypercritical, he can't
handle a question without working his own insecurities out in front of
God, the world and everybody?

Keep it up, mommy will spank you. Again.

J T wrote:
Sun, Oct 29, 2006, 1:11pm (EST-3) doth burble:
What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the
bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note
that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.

This is either a troll, or you lead a very sad life. When you go
to a Chinese resturaunt, and get chopsticks in a little paper package,
do you have to ask the waitress/waiter how to get them out?

Are you allowed to carry a pocket knife? What I do is just peel
off a strip with MY pocket knife, and then pull the whole thing off with
my fingers. Safest way? Most efficient way? Maybe not for you, but it
is for me. Oh yeah, I figured that out all on my own, about 2 seconds
after the first time I saw it.

Or, I suppose you could just leave it on, and let it wear off
during use.

JOAT
If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2006-10-30, Bill wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:11:04 -0800, remod2006 wrote:

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the
bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note
that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.

You're supposed to take that stuff Off?

Uh oh.

;-]

Does that cut down on the Godawful smell when you first use the bit?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Pee it off.

OK, I went out to try your method, and didn't get much to come off. Do
you have any pictures showing exactly how this method is applied?

Hah!

; ^)

Robert

I'd post a picture but I would have to get too far back to get the "whole"
picture. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...

Pee it off.

OK, I went out to try your method, and didn't get much to come off. Do
you have any pictures showing exactly how this method is applied?

Hah!

; ^)

Robert

I'd post a picture but I would have to get too far back to get the "whole"
picture. ;~)

....must be a style and rail set you're talking about...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Pee it off.

OK, I went out to try your method, and didn't get much to come off. Do
you have any pictures showing exactly how this method is applied?

Hah!

; ^)

Robert

I'd post a picture but I would have to get too far back to get the "whole"
picture. ;~)

oooooohhhhh. Impressive.

Chuckle.

If you are still following along here Leon, watcha workin' on these
days?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:11:04 -0800, remod2006 wrote:

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the
bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note
that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.

You're supposed to take that stuff Off?

Uh oh.

;-]

Yes, unless its a "Vermont America" bit in which case removing the
coating voids the warranty.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:51:01 +0000, Nova wrote:

Yes, unless its a "Vermont America" bit in which case removing the
coating voids the warranty.

Who are you kidding? A VA warranty doesn't extend past the cash register.

I was in Home Depot looking for a 5mm tap tonight. They didn't even have a
VA tap. Now that's sad.

Fortunately for me, there's a Production Tool close enough to walk to ...
which is precisely what I intend to do tomorrow afternoon.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Oct 31, 2006, 7:17am (EST+5) (Bill) doth confess:
snip I was in Home Depot snip

Now that's sad.

JOAT
If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Help a newbie who is scared of his router... John Dykes Woodworking 15 March 9th 06 01:10 AM
I've Decided On My New Router Table Design J T Woodworking 4 January 26th 06 03:45 PM
router bit doesn't match the router hole by thousandths.. Faustino Dina Woodworking 10 November 20th 04 05:15 PM
Router Cabinet bowhunter Woodworking 8 February 19th 04 04:22 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM