Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to remove the coating from a new router bit?

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, Barry. Apparently, the ladies who had such a hard time with
this question really wanted to encourage a newbie to practice on a $70
bit. Because they were born knowing everything and never had to ask
anybody; they were using routers when they were in utero. That's why
they're famous and have their own TV shows. Or maybe because their
Chinese bits never cost over $5 so why not experiment? Try acetone, a
torch, sandpaper, it's only $5.

B A R R Y wrote:
On 29 Oct 2006 13:10:17 -0800, wrote:

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit?

I just slit it with my knife and peel it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:

wrote:
What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit?

Same way you do with a latex rubber.

Reading this immediately following the post that said:
:
:I just slit it with my knife and peel it off.

kinda makes me cringe!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:10:17 -0800, remod2006 wrote:

What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery
coating from a Whiteside router bit?

Hmmm ... apparently you were serious. The stuff will peel off with just
your fingernails ... no risk of harming either a $70 bit or a $5 one. It's
just a type of wax. Or you really could just run the bit and, if it didn't
fly off on its own, make a sample cut into a piece of wood. Wear eye
protection whenever running the router and especially when using the above
method for peeling off the protective wax.

Bill

Help a newbie who is scared of his router... John Dykes Woodworking 15 March 9th 06 01:10 AM
I've Decided On My New Router Table Design J T Woodworking 4 January 26th 06 03:45 PM
router bit doesn't match the router hole by thousandths.. Faustino Dina Woodworking 10 November 20th 04 05:15 PM
Router Cabinet bowhunter Woodworking 8 February 19th 04 04:22 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM