Posted to rec.woodworking

Default leg tapering

Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a
table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being cut for the
leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade.
Patt

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Tim is offline

"Patt" wrote in message
Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a
table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being cut for
the
leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade.
Patt

I find it best not to use damn wood. You are very lucky that all it does is
move!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Patt,
Can you clarify your technique? I can't determine which part of the
wood is binding in the blade; is it the waste or the leg? Are you
clamping the leg to the jig or allowing it to float and using pressure
against a fence?.
I'm making two jigs for cutting leg tapers. The first is a shallow
taper for the initial side cut and the second jig has a steeper angle
to rest the first cut side against. I plan to clamp the leg to the jig
and not use any fence.
Marc

Patt wrote:
Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a
table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being cut for the
leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade.
Patt

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have to wonder if there is a problem with your blade or fence. I have a
jig that I tapered a pencil post bed with. I use a 20 tooth rip blade with
it. The Forrest blade I have uses too much horsepower for heavy ripping. I
was ripping 3" stock with a 1 1/2 hp saw. I now rip on a bandsaw.

"Patt" wrote in message
Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a
table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being cut for
the
leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade.
Patt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patt wrote:
Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a
table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being cut for the
leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade.
Patt

Are you using the hinged kind like Norm uses? I never even tried one
they look too unstable.

I use one like this that rides in my miter slot.
http://plansnow.com/taperjig.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patt wrote:
Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a
table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being

cut for the
leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade.

I made one following the NYW proportions after my Craftsman unit broke
and it works quite well.

Not sure I understand your problem.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Patt" wrote in message
Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a
table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being cut for
the
leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade.
Patt

How are you holding the wood? It should rest against the jig, there should
be a "foot" at the bottom that acts as a stop, and you should be holding the
wood to be cut at the same time you use the jig against the fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

How are you holding the wood? It should rest against the jig, there
should be a "foot" at the bottom that acts as a stop, and you should be
holding the wood to be cut at the same time you use the jig against the
fence.

Ahhhhh! When you say "holding" against the fence you mean with a 'push
stick' or 'push block' right?

I use a commercial variety of the tapering jig that Norm uses
(http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3184) and it works fine, but
I almost always push the wood against the fence with my left hand using a
push stick as I feed the jig through with my right hand.

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
I have to wonder if there is a problem with your blade or fence. I have a
jig that I tapered a pencil post bed with. I use a 20 tooth rip blade with
it. The Forrest blade I have uses too much horsepower for heavy ripping. I
was ripping 3" stock with a 1 1/2 hp saw. I now rip on a bandsaw.

Bandsaw and plane or jointer reduces the guesswork on double tapers and
provides greater safety anyway.

Y'think he's trying to feed in the wrong direction, cutting up taper rather
than down?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patt wrote:
Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs
on a table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood
being cut for the leg just moves all over the place and binds in
the blade.
Patt

Please allow me to suggest that your problem would go away if the damn
wood were held down with a toggle clamp or otherwise confined so it
can't move. Duh.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

How are you holding the wood? It should rest against the jig, there
should be a "foot" at the bottom that acts as a stop, and you should be
holding the wood to be cut at the same time you use the jig against the
fence.

Ahhhhh! When you say "holding" against the fence you mean with a 'push
stick' or 'push block' right?

I use a commercial variety of the tapering jig that Norm uses
(http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3184) and it works fine, but
I almost always push the wood against the fence with my left hand using a
push stick as I feed the jig through with my right hand.

I hope you mean you push the wood against the *jig*, and push the jig against
the fence...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

I hope you mean you push the wood against the *jig*, and push the jig
against
the fence...

Yes, That's what I mean, but I use a push stick, so I don't endanger my
digits.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Patt" wrote in message
Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a
table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being cut for

the
leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade.
Patt

I cut a lot of tapered legs and finally settled on one similar to the one in
Fine Wood Working magazines 2005 "Power Tools" issue.

Scroll down to in the photographs at "Taper Jig" on the page below:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Jigs.htm

You should be able to reproduce it just from the photos.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Scroll down to in the photographs at "Taper Jig" on the page below:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Jigs.htm

I use a similar "taper sled" with slightly different hold-downs. In my
opinion, these are the way to go. Safe, accurate, and very quick and
easy to make up.

The same jig can easily do one to all sided tapers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

A simple sled with hold downs is the easiest way to do
tapers...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip020607wb.html