Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Conventional miter vs sliding

Any thoughts on a 12" conventional miter saw vs. a 10" sliding miter
saw?

I know there is a decent price difference. Will I use the slider much
more?

Just curious.

PS as far as project, I a new , but so far pretty diverse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've had both. Wouldn't trade my latest 12" slider (DW718) for any of the
past 5 saws I've had. I can cross cut around 30" by cutting the panel and
flipping it over to continue the cut. Capacity is the greatest advantage to
a slider. If you cut wider stuff regularly, get one. If you don't need the
capacity, get a conventional miter. --dave

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Any thoughts on a 12" conventional miter saw vs. a 10" sliding miter
saw?

I know there is a decent price difference. Will I use the slider much
more?

There are many times when I wish I had the slider version of my Dewalt 12"
CMS.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any thoughts on a 12" conventional miter saw vs. a 10" sliding miter
saw?

As you well know, it depends entirely on what you will be using it for.
If you will be cutting wood too thick for a 10", a 10" slider is useless.
If you will be cutting wood too wide for a 12", a non-sliding 12" is
useless.
There is a market for both because people have different needs.

In normal woodworking you will come across wide wood more often then thick
wood; so a 10" slider is probably more useful. Is it more useful enough to
justify the price? That depends on your cash flow and your room.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 22:38:12 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Any thoughts on a 12" conventional miter saw vs. a 10" sliding miter
saw?

As you well know, it depends entirely on what you will be using it for.
If you will be cutting wood too thick for a 10", a 10" slider is useless.
If you will be cutting wood too wide for a 12", a non-sliding 12" is
useless.
There is a market for both because people have different needs.

In normal woodworking you will come across wide wood more often then thick
wood; so a 10" slider is probably more useful. Is it more useful enough to
justify the price? That depends on your cash flow and your room.

The Bosch 10" single bevel slider is a good buy when you factor in
that it comes with a pretty good blade, and how much a good 12" blade
costs.

The main thing about sliders is be prepared for how much space they
take up. I'm planning on putting mine on the wall with the stairs and
bumping out the wall behind it. I'm sure I'll get around to that any
day now.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

I seriously looked at 10" sliders, but ultimately went with the 12" for the
extra capacity. I'm a carpenter for a living, so there are times when the
big saw comes in handy on the job, (finishing work only!) however, I
bought this saw primarily for the shop to cross cut panels. The downside is
sliders need more room, are more expensive, are not that portable. I doubt
there is that much difference in the weight or space needed for a 10" vs 12"
but the 12" will be somewhat more spendy --dave

oups.com...

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Any thoughts on a 12" conventional miter saw vs. a 10" sliding miter
saw?

I know there is a decent price difference. Will I use the slider much
more?

There are many times when I wish I had the slider version of my Dewalt
12"
CMS.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

You need to tell us what projects you are going to tackle with it. I bought
the DEwalt 12" slider and Stand when it first came out and love it but also
ended up buying a cheap 10" miter for it's portability. If your like me and
you don't need the saw all the time setting it up and moving a large 12" or
10" slider can be a real pain. On that note a slider will doa lot of cuts
that a miter saw can't. If you need to groove out a 1" deep and 1" wide path
through a 2x4 or 2x6 etc. you just set the slider depth to only cut 1" and
work it across your cut. It's nice and flush and fast. I also prefer to cut
from front to back with my 12" slider and make multiple passes on finishing
work instead of on big cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Oct 2006 14:47:32 -0700, "
wrote:

Any thoughts on a 12" conventional miter saw vs. a 10" sliding miter
saw?

I know there is a decent price difference. Will I use the slider much
more?

Just curious.

PS as far as project, I a new , but so far pretty diverse.

I think it depends on not only what you plan on cutting, but on what other tools
you have or plan to buy..

IMO, my 10" non-slide works fine for what I use it for, which is mainly long
stuff like 2x4's or trim that I don't want to use my RAS on..

(OK, that aren't worth clearing off the clutter and finding my RAS for)

If you don't have a table or radial arm, I'd say you'll get a lot of use out of
the slider...

My concern is twist or whatever that causes inaccurate cuts, which used to be a
big problem with sliders...
From the other responses, I'd guess that it's an issue that has been corrected?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a Delta 10" mitre saw.....plain - just did straight forward cuts. I
have it away when I switched to a Makita 12" sliding compound saw and would
NEVER, EVER, go back to any 10" - sliding or otherwise.

For one thing, even a standard 12" would allow cutting thicker wood than a
10". For example, cutting 4 X 4 posts I had to rotate the wood on the 10"
to complete the cut.

Now - when are the 14 inchers coming out :O).

Keith P.