Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 10" Table saw speed.

I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to my 20 year old Delta contractor
saw. One of the things I want to do is replace the cast pulleys with
machined ones. Looked at the set that In-line Industries sells According to
the company most blades spin at about 3450 rpm. They recommend running the
blade at 3800 rpm. Does anybody have any thoughts or experience on running
at the higher speed? Better, worse, or is there no notable difference?

Oswin

Posted to rec.woodworking

oswin556 wrote:
Looked at the set that In-line Industries sells According to
the company most blades spin at about 3450 rpm. They recommend running the
blade at 3800 rpm.

Saw blades are designed for a specific tooth loading. Increasing the
blade speed means you would need to feed the wood faster to match.

However, that's only about a 10% difference. You probably cause more
variation than that just pushing the wood through by hand.

My guess is no real difference. The cynic in me says that they probably
make those pulleys for other purposes, or can source them cheaply.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"oswin556" wrote in message
I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to my 20 year old Delta
contractor
saw. One of the things I want to do is replace the cast pulleys with
machined ones. Looked at the set that In-line Industries sells According
the company most blades spin at about 3450 rpm. They recommend running the
blade at 3800 rpm. Does anybody have any thoughts or experience on running
at the higher speed? Better, worse, or is there no notable difference?

Oswin

This one is 3000 rpm
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=6086

This one has more HP and is 4000 rpm
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=6155

This one is 3450 rpm
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=5222

I doubt it would be a problem and for thin stock could help the feed rate,
but unless you increase the power, it will not help on the 3" thick maple.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Circular saw blades are tensioned to run at a rim speed of approx 10,000
FTM.
That equates to 3819 RPM on a 10" blade

"oswin556" wrote in message
I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to my 20 year old Delta

contractor
saw. One of the things I want to do is replace the cast pulleys with
machined ones. Looked at the set that In-line Industries sells According

the company most blades spin at about 3450 rpm. They recommend running the
blade at 3800 rpm. Does anybody have any thoughts or experience on running
at the higher speed? Better, worse, or is there no notable difference?

Oswin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"oswin556" wrote in message
I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to my 20 year old Delta
contractor
saw. One of the things I want to do is replace the cast pulleys with
machined ones. Looked at the set that In-line Industries sells According
the company most blades spin at about 3450 rpm. They recommend running the
blade at 3800 rpm. Does anybody have any thoughts or experience on running
at the higher speed? Better, worse, or is there no notable difference?

Oswin

Contact the manufacturer of your blade and ask them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Is there something wrong with your die cast pulleys? If they have been
working for 20 years why change them now? Seems to me you are just
increasing the load on the bearings.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.