Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Really stoked tonight!

Tonight I finally got to use my new jointer (8 inch Delta, DJ-20) the
way it was intended. After egde jointing dozens short boards I needed
to egde joint a 12 foot oak board that I will use as a transition piece
from a tiled floor to the wood floor. I was a bit concerned that I
would mess it up but after a few passes with a minimal cut I got the
results I wanted. Nice square egde and very straight. The jointer
never wobbled (unlike my ancient Jet 6 inch that I replaced) Good tools
make it all so much more fun.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
Tonight I finally got to use my new jointer (8 inch Delta, DJ-20) the
way it was intended. After egde jointing dozens short boards I needed
to egde joint a 12 foot oak board that I will use as a transition piece
from a tiled floor to the wood floor. I was a bit concerned that I
would mess it up but after a few passes with a minimal cut I got the
results I wanted. Nice square egde and very straight. The jointer
never wobbled (unlike my ancient Jet 6 inch that I replaced) Good tools
make it all so much more fun.

Marc

Yes they do. Unfortunately you can't convince folks that the garbage
they picked up at The Home Decrap isn't as good as a used piece of
quality equipment they could have purchased for about the same $$.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ps.com...
Tonight I finally got to use my new jointer (8 inch Delta, DJ-20) the
way it was intended. After egde jointing dozens short boards I needed
to egde joint a 12 foot oak board that I will use as a transition piece
from a tiled floor to the wood floor. I was a bit concerned that I
would mess it up but after a few passes with a minimal cut I got the
results I wanted. Nice square egde and very straight. The jointer
never wobbled (unlike my ancient Jet 6 inch that I replaced) Good tools
make it all so much more fun.

That type of task is exactly why I bought a DJ-20... When you flop an 8-16
foot long board on the jointer and know you will get good results you
quickly forget the price. I recall trying to edge and face joint 8 foot
boards on my previous jointer and struggling... it was a 6" model where the
total combined table length was about the same as the in-feed table on the
DJ-20. It's the architectural woodworking where the length really shines...
For my furniture projects the lengths are generally much shorter but lots of
width is nice--a DJ-30 would be nice. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"marc rosen" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Check this one out. Be warned though, you may find your DJ-20 just
became inadequate.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2383

Posted to rec.woodworking

A.M. Wood wrote:

Check this one out. Be warned though, you may find your DJ-20 just
became inadequate.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2383

Don't get me wrong though, the DJ-20 is an awesome machine

Posted to rec.woodworking

"A.M. Wood" wrote in message
ups.com...

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"marc rosen" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

If I really needed a wide jointer I've got access to a 24" American (brand
as I recall) at a commercial cabinet shop... I think the tables on that are
8 feet long.

However, with hand planes like my L-N 7 I can take care of everything in my
shop.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, that is a nice looking jointer too, but I was able to get the DJ
20 down into my basement. If I had bought the DJ 30 or equivalent it
would be living in my garage. Getting the 20 downstairs (poured,
outside, concrete steps) was a bit scary. Glad I was watching two
trained professionals at work

A.M. Wood wrote:

Check this one out. Be warned though, you may find your DJ-20 just
became inadequate.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2383

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Most people, upon deciding they will get into woodworking, plan to do it in
about a year. In that year, they will search/wait for good deals on used
equipment. First, of course, they have to study up so they can tell if they
re getting a good deal on usable machinery or paying to much for junk.
"A.M. Wood" wrote in message
ups.com...

Yes they do. Unfortunately you can't convince folks that the garbage
they picked up at The Home Decrap isn't as good as a used piece of
quality equipment they could have purchased for about the same $$.

Played with my Byrd tonight (rated "G" w/pics) Leon Woodworking 2 April 21st 06 01:42 PM
Duct Tape Isn't Forever - Last Red Green Show Tonight Michael Daly Woodworking 2 April 10th 06 04:22 AM
Lumberyard on tonight J T Woodworking 4 February 2nd 06 08:16 PM
Modern marvels has "metal" and "Hydrualics" on tonight Waynemak Metalworking 4 February 5th 05 06:38 AM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM