Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default Really stoked tonight!

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ps.com...
Tonight I finally got to use my new jointer (8 inch Delta, DJ-20) the
way it was intended. After egde jointing dozens short boards I needed
to egde joint a 12 foot oak board that I will use as a transition piece
from a tiled floor to the wood floor. I was a bit concerned that I
would mess it up but after a few passes with a minimal cut I got the
results I wanted. Nice square egde and very straight. The jointer
never wobbled (unlike my ancient Jet 6 inch that I replaced) Good tools
make it all so much more fun.

That type of task is exactly why I bought a DJ-20... When you flop an 8-16
foot long board on the jointer and know you will get good results you
quickly forget the price. I recall trying to edge and face joint 8 foot
boards on my previous jointer and struggling... it was a 6" model where the
total combined table length was about the same as the in-feed table on the
DJ-20. It's the architectural woodworking where the length really shines...
For my furniture projects the lengths are generally much shorter but lots of
width is nice--a DJ-30 would be nice. ;~)

John