Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rojek Combination Tool?

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Toller (in ) said:

||| I have built items with cut tolerances of 1/32 of an inch or so.
||| I was never happy with the end product.
|| Is there some place we can see pictures of this precision built
|| furniture?
| He never said it was wood. I built a brass cannon once that was
| accurate to a few thousanths.

That's pretty impressive! Dare I ask at what range it was so accurate?

hmpf

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rojek Combination Tool? - Felder, Hammer, Mini-Max, Robland

"cm" wrote in message
Heres one. A Robland K-26... never heard of that model????
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/211987180.html

Great price, but it is half the weight of the current machines. Still, if I
were in Phoenix...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . net,
CW wrote:
...snipped...

I set up to fifty tools a day using a piece of paper as a feeler gage. It's
a rare occurrence that I'm off by more than .0003.

Or do you really mean it's a rare occurrence to check for being
withing 3/10,000 ?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(@)charm(.)net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

My shop is L shaped. The main room is 9.5' wide; the side room is 7' wide.
I could stick the combination machine in the main room so I have plenty of
room on either side, but little in front or in back; or in the corner so I
have plenty of room in front and to one side, but little the other two
directions.
Am I likely to be able to use one of these? Rojek told me their footprint
is 7'x7', but I don't know how much room is necessary to actually use it.

I found an article in FWW that said that the Robland was lightly made and
had poor tolerances. They thought all the others were better. You
apparently like the Robland; have they gotten over their problems?

Thanks much.

Have a look at my shop layout. There's a 1' x 1' grid on the "floor"
so you can get an idea of the space required. Not that the rails
the sliding table rides on can be moved foreward or back, depending
on what you're doing. If you want to cross cut a 4x8 sheet of ply
the 5' 6" rails need to be pulled all the way foreward - extending
out
in front of the saw table by 3 1/2 feet. If the unit can be set up
with the front of the unit almost agains a garage door you'd be
fine. But remember that if you're going to rip sheets of ply you
need 7 feet in front of the saw and and 7 feet behind it. Even
if you limit rips to 4' lengths you'd still be cramped in 9 1/2'.

As for the Robland X31 being light - it's 1,100 pounds! You've
heard of The Nickel Test - set up a nickel on edge on the saw
table and turn on the saw. If the nickel stays standing you've
passed The Nickel Test? Well my X31 passes The DimeS Test.
Stand one dime on edge parallel to the blade, and another at
90s to the blade. Turn on the saw and rip a board. Dimes don't
move.

Now as to comparing the X31 to MiniMax and Felder, the X31 has
a large sliding table, riding on rails. The other two have a
linear bearing "slider" which significantly narrower and relies
on the cross cut fence and the operator to support the
part of the sheet not sitting on their "table". Think panel
saw for MiniMax and Felder.

The advantage of a larger cast iron sliding table shows up
when you're doing end grain on the shaper and cross cutting
long stock
http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence...op/page24.html
http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence...op/page18.html
With the narrow linear bearings sliding table, there's not the
range of clamping positions available like on the X31 sliding table.

Re' "tolerances" combi's are a bit trickier to set up than separate
stand alone machines because the joiner's outfeed table AND the
table saw/ shaper table AND the slding table must be coplaner.
Now add the fact that the sliding table must stay coplaner with
the saw table top AND track parallel to the saw blade over its
range of motion.

These set up instructions will give you and idea of what's involved
in setting up anX31
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...ructions0.html

If you have questions about the Robland X-31 e-mail me.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I said what I meant. You can read, right?

wrote in message
In article . net,
CW wrote:
...snipped...

I set up to fifty tools a day using a piece of paper as a feeler gage.

It's
a rare occurrence that I'm off by more than .0003.

Or do you really mean it's a rare occurrence to check for being
withing 3/10,000 ?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(@)charm(.)net

Trouble with cut-off operation on lathe Jim Reed Metalworking 16 May 18th 06 05:49 PM
What is that tool? John McLean UK diy 0 May 1st 06 10:23 AM
OT - Humour: Tool definitions - long Phil Hansen Woodworking 8 December 8th 05 07:57 PM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM