Posted to rec.woodworking

Default how to buy hardwood?

Hi, folks,
I'm following a magazine plan for a file cabinet. It has a handy
cutting diagram for all the trim pieces which are cherry.

But, when I go to the wood store, they don't have pieces exactly 6 by
96, for example.

The diagram also gives, parenthetically, 4 board feet.

So, is there a smart way to ask for what I need? In other words, can I
just say I need four board feet of cherry, with a minimum length of 24
inches (the longest single piece)?

I know this is kind of a wandering question, but I'm having a hard time
getting my brain around this--and the guys at the one place I can go
for hardwood are pretty...non-communicative.

And advice?

Thanks!
Ds

Posted to rec.woodworking

"VeryLargeCorp" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, folks,
I'm following a magazine plan for a file cabinet. It has a handy
cutting diagram for all the trim pieces which are cherry.

But, when I go to the wood store, they don't have pieces exactly 6 by
96, for example.

The diagram also gives, parenthetically, 4 board feet.

So, is there a smart way to ask for what I need? In other words, can I
just say I need four board feet of cherry, with a minimum length of 24
inches (the longest single piece)?

I know this is kind of a wandering question, but I'm having a hard time
getting my brain around this--and the guys at the one place I can go
for hardwood are pretty...non-communicative.

And advice?

Finding a more customer friendly supplier would help. There are always a
few that deal with the pros and don't care to help the weekend diy guy.
They seem to take pleasure in intimidating the new guy.

First, do you understand the board foot measurement? It works out to 144
cubic inches, but can be in any combination of dimensions.

Can you pick your own wood? If so, figure out what you need and take a tape
measure with you. If you need a full 6", you will have to buy a board
slightly wider. They may have 6", but may only have 8" so you have to buy
the 8" and pay for the scrap that will be left.

Some suppliers have a minimum length that must be left after cutting what
you need, others have a full length minimum. They don't want you to buy a 4'
piece out of a 5' piece and stick them with too small of a piece to sell.
Boards can be in random width and length and they will measure and calculate
how many board feet you have after you select them. I always try to buy
extra for two reasons. I like to have something in case of an "oops" along
the way and having some scraps for little projects down the road.

In your case, specify that you need a minimum of 6" x 24". If all they have
is 7", then that is what you get or come back at a later date. It is also
possible to glue up two 3" pieces to get what you need. Glue ups are done
all the time but have to be planned with some care to get the right
appearance on a very visible part.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the information. This seems like something that comes from
experience, which I'm still getting!

The main thing is to find a friendlier place. These guys do everything
with a sigh and a moan and answer questions in monosyllables.

Anyway, I think I'll be able to find what I need with your advice.
Thank you!

Ds

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Sep 2006 11:44:04 -0700, "VeryLargeCorp"
wrote:

Hi, folks,
I'm following a magazine plan for a file cabinet. It has a handy
cutting diagram for all the trim pieces which are cherry.

But, when I go to the wood store, they don't have pieces exactly 6 by
96, for example.

The diagram also gives, parenthetically, 4 board feet.

So, is there a smart way to ask for what I need? In other words, can I
just say I need four board feet of cherry, with a minimum length of 24
inches (the longest single piece)?

I know this is kind of a wandering question, but I'm having a hard time
getting my brain around this--and the guys at the one place I can go
for hardwood are pretty...non-communicative.

And advice?

Thanks!
Ds

I've been cutting up wood for a long time and probably know quite a
bit about the stuff. However, the guys at my supplier know more - its
their business.
Thus, I don't go there to try to act like an expert. I go there to get
what I need. Just tell them what you need as an end result and I would
assume they will be very helpful. Going there and trying to make it
seem as if you know something because you picked up a few tips in here
won't do you any good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"VeryLargeCorp" wrote in message
Hi, folks,
I'm following a magazine plan for a file cabinet. It has a handy
cutting diagram for all the trim pieces which are cherry.

But, when I go to the wood store, they don't have pieces exactly 6 by
96, for example.

What follows is more philosophical than a definitive answer, but follow
along anyway.

The diagram also gives, parenthetically, 4 board feet.

In woodworking, that won't do you much good, other than how much it will
cost to walk out the door with your prize, or putz, lumber.

So, is there a smart way to ask for what I need? In other words, can I
just say I need four board feet of cherry, with a minimum length of 24
inches (the longest single piece)?

If you do that, you'll likely get plenty of bad along with the good. Which
means you may end up buying 8 board feet + to finish the project. Sometimes,
however, there is no other way ... at first.

Most woodworkers I know would not frequent a place where they were not
allowed to pick and choose their own material, so you must learn to deal
with these folks and go out of your way to get them on your side.

And always carry a cutlist and tape measure.

I know this is kind of a wandering question, but I'm having a hard time
getting my brain around this--and the guys at the one place I can go
for hardwood are pretty...non-communicative.

Lumber yards are somehow the same the world around. It almost always starts
out that way if you're a new customer ... hell, even you're a seasoned pro
and get the new salesman. AAMOF, if there are six 'salesman" in the place,
you'll get treated six different ways, no matter how long you've been doing
business there ... it's not personal.

But, if you're going to be woodworking, you need to make an effort to
cultivate a relationship with at least one of your hardwood supplier's
"representatives" as quickly as possible.

Pick out one (get the grey haired old man, if there is one) and keep going
back to him ... ask for him everytime, and even wait on him if he's busy
with another customer.

It is amazing what an informed salesman/representative can find/suggest, or
dig up "out back", after he knows you, and you simply ask for his advice
_with a cutlist in hand_.

AAMOF, I did just that yesterday, and ended up with 65 bf of some beautiful
8/4 quarter sawn white oak that I would have otherwise never seen ... and
this from a place where I have had both personal and commercial accounts for
a few years, and after two previous trips earlier in the week ended up with
me finding nothing usuable in the "bins" while _my_ usual guy was busy and I
didn't have the time to stick around. (He chastised me for that later, and
even let me know that I am _his_ customer!)

In short, always take your cutlist, ask for assistance until you get what
you want, do your best to make, if not a friend, at least a friendly source
of business, and each time you go back it will get easier.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

VeryLargeCorp wrote:
Thanks for the information. This seems like something that comes from
experience, which I'm still getting!

The main thing is to find a friendlier place. These guys do everything
with a sigh and a moan and answer questions in monosyllables.

Once I was calling around the DC area trying to find rough cedar,
which, for some reason, was in short supply. At one lumber yard, a guy
picked up the phone and instead of saying "hello," continued the
conversation he was having in the store. I sat there confused for a
moment, not sure if he was talking to me or what. Then he finally
greeted me, and I asked if they had rough cedar. He said, "sure, it's
rough like your mother-in-law." Naturally, I paused to process this,
and in the silence, he said, "why don't you just come down and see."

I guess I have all week to drive all over the gridlocked DC Beltway
looking for one thing instead of bothering this poor man with a phone
call.

Screw 'em!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Swingman" wrote:

I'm going to violate all kinds of etiquette rules here by top-posting, and by
not snipping anything at all... but it's for a good reason.

Excellent post, Swingman. This is some of the best advice that's been posted
here, on any topic, by any poster, in quite a while.

[...]

Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Swingman"
wrote:

I'm going to violate all kinds of etiquette rules here by top-posting, and
by
not snipping anything at all... but it's for a good reason.

Excellent post, Swingman. This is some of the best advice that's been
posted
here, on any topic, by any poster, in quite a while.

You never got to the good reason?

Posted to rec.woodworking

VeryLargeCorp wrote:

The main thing is to find a friendlier place. These guys do everything
with a sigh and a moan and answer questions in monosyllables.

Where are you?

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S C&S is offline

wrote:

I'm going to violate all kinds of etiquette rules here by top-posting, and

by
not snipping anything at all... but it's for a good reason.

Excellent post, Swingman. This is some of the best advice that's been

posted
here, on any topic, by any poster, in quite a while.

I really have to agree... my supplier is really a mom&pop shop with a few
apprentices.

They let me disassemble the entire pile to get what I want. I say please
thankyou as much as possible (suck up bigtime). Not because I have to, but
because I want to; it is in my best interest.

Always put the pile back together neater than you found it.

"cherry picking" (pun intended) is a priviledge and I make sure they know
that I understand that and appreciate it.

The last project I was working on required 16/4 cherry (4 inches thick)...
not something he normally has, but he emailed me when he got it.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

C&S wrote:
I really have to agree... my supplier is really a mom&pop shop with a few
apprentices.

They let me disassemble the entire pile to get what I want. I say please
thankyou as much as possible (suck up bigtime). Not because I have to, but
because I want to; it is in my best interest.

Always put the pile back together neater than you found it.

"cherry picking" (pun intended) is a priviledge and I make sure they know
that I understand that and appreciate it.

The last project I was working on required 16/4 cherry (4 inches thick)...
not something he normally has, but he emailed me when he got it.

-Steve

I agree with Steve - a good, helpful, friendly hardwood dealer is a
wonderful thing, even if you have to look around for a while. Mine is
about a 45 minute drive, but absolutely worth it to pick my own stuff
and get good help/advice. If I just need something small and am not
too picky, they deliver into town here maybe once a week, in which case
I work around their schedule to meet them.
Sounds like you (the OP) need to find a different dealer, or try once
more to take a list of exactly what you need, and expect to buy at
LEAST 25% more lumber than is really required for your project. Most
places will do surfacing (planing/wide-belt sanding) for a fee, and
they shouldn't complain about doing a rough crosscut or two so you can
fit the long pieces in your car if necessary. Again, if you tell us
roughly where you're located, someone here might be able to recommend a
good place.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:35:54 -0400, C&S wrote:

They let me disassemble the entire pile to get what I want. I say please
thankyou as much as possible (suck up bigtime). Not because I have to, but
because I want to; it is in my best interest.

My last hardwood shopping experience was ... well, an experience! I drove over
2.5 hours to a place in south-central PA, to find the perfect piece of 5/4
quilted maple. I didn't have to pick through the pile - the salesman pulled up
a forklift, and did it for me. It was a *huge* pile, and it took a couple of
hours to find the board I wanted. And they guy seemed happy to work with me
the entire time. In the end, my entire purchase (that maple board, and a bunch
of other not-as-remarkable wood) came to just around $300. I can't imagine how
that pays for the salesman's time.

I'll go back there again, you can bet on it.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Show your wood guy your plans and let him figure out what you need. Most of
them are helpfull.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In addition to the very good information already offered about finding and
cultivating knowledgeable and helpful salespersons at your hardwood supplier - I
will add:
Unlike wood products from your local BORG, hardwood from a real supplier comes
in random widths and lengths, and can contain knots and other irregularities.
It's up to the consumer (you) to make these pieces into the correct finished
dimensions for your project. Understand what a board foot means - basically 12
square inches of rough cut lumber wood that is 1 inch thick. Realize that when a
supplier planes the surfaces, and possibly straightline rips a edge, that the
piece of wood you're buying will no longer actually be its rough dimensions - 1"
thick, or the measured width. And also understand that when a plan or cutting
diagram says you need X board foot, you will need to buy more than X - 10-20%
more - to have enough to cut out your finished pieces. And maybe even more than
that to allow for oopses or pretty grain selection....
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Posted to rec.woodworking

Art Greenberg wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:35:54 -0400, C&S wrote:

They let me disassemble the entire pile to get what I want. I say
please thankyou as much as possible (suck up bigtime). Not because I
have to, but because I want to; it is in my best interest.

My last hardwood shopping experience was ... well, an experience! I
drove over 2.5 hours to a place in south-central PA, to find the
perfect piece of 5/4 quilted maple. I didn't have to pick through the
pile - the salesman pulled up a forklift, and did it for me. It was a
*huge* pile, and it took a couple of hours to find the board I wanted.
And they guy seemed happy to work with me the entire time. In the end,
my entire purchase (that maple board, and a bunch of other
not-as-remarkable wood) came to just around $300. I can't imagine how
that pays for the salesman's time.

I'll go back there again, you can bet on it.

I suspect that, if he had something more important to do than work with a
customer, he would have done it.

Folks like us may well spend several thousand dollars in a year on
materials. Usually at regular prices. And we talk to our friends.

There's money to be made.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Once I was calling around the DC area trying to find rough cedar.... He said, "sure, it's
rough like your mother-in-law...

Screw 'em!

Who did you call? I live in the DC area -- and I'd like a heads up so
I don't waste my time trying to deal with Shmucks.

If you want, I can tell you of some top notch suppliers in the area.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sat, Sep 16, 2006, 4:54pm (EDT-3) (boorite) doth
proclaimeth:
Didn't like their attitude. Needed the irritation less than I needed the
cedar. Would rather wait for the Borg to get it than be treated like an
idiot just because I'm not there as a contractor. Wasn't sure they had
it anyway, or that the guy on the phone heard me or was paying
attention.

You kinda lost me on how I lost you. Would you give a dime to a place
who treated customers this way if you had a choice? I wouldn't.

Didn't like their attitude, eh? If I reacted like that to
everyone whose attitude I didn't like I'd probably only be talking to
myself. As far as being treated like an idiot, my mother has treated me
like an idiot my entire life - and I'm 65, retired Army, been thru a
war, several revolutions, several terrorist incidents, divorce, raised
two sons from ages 3 & 7, had cancer - doesn't matter, she still talks
to me like I need to be told everything. Now that gets irritating.

I'm not a contractor, but I've dealt with places that mainly deal
with 'em. No prob. Just don't take the attitude you're the customer,
and always right. As far as the Borg getting your cedar, I wouldn't
hold my breath. I don't go in HD at all, but do deal with Lowes on
occassion - I find the help there a LOt more knowing, courteous,
helpful, and the stock more vried, than HD.

As far as getting treated like you say ou got treated, the guy did
say they had cedar. Been me I'd have probably gone over and checked it
out. Personally I've had a lot of bosses who figured they were my
superior, intelectually, and otherwise, simply becase they gave the
orders. You know what they say about cream floating to the top, well
cream ain't the only thing that floats.

As an aside, I live about 10-15 miles outside of the state capitol.
There are about 7 (seven) sawmills, that I know of, within 9 (nine)
miles of me, including one that specializes in cedar, and is 3-4 miles
from me. Find one in the phone book? I believe there is actually one
of them listed, I have no idea how the others could be contacted, except
by direct contact. And tht's only the nes I've laid eyes on, just
driving around, no telling how many more there are I don't know about.
I have seen another about 20-25 miles away that I believe selles to the
general public. I don't deal with any of them, because so far I haven't
needed any wood from any of them. Would I if I needed wood from one of
them? You betcha. And if they wouldn't sell to me because I'm just a
"hobbyist"? No prob. I'd politely ask them if they know someone who
"could and would" sell me wood. And I'm almost willing to lay money on
it that I'd get at least one lead. If by chance that lead wouldn't pan
out, I'd ask "them" where I could buy wood. And I'd make very damn sure
to thank whoever I talked to, at least once - to be polite? Partly, but
also to show them that I actually did appreciate their help. That's
worked for me before, tracking down steel tubing and specialized
automotive parts, and I'm sure it would work for me buying specialty
wood.

If it was me, and I wasn't sure if they had what I wanted or not,
I'd verify if they did or not. Then I'd go look at it, if they did have
it. But that's just me. If the Borg is your thing, you could ask them
if they'll put in a special order for you - worst case they'd say no,
best they'd get you some decent wood. Not as good as picking thru but
you'd be dealing with the Borg.. Next time might want to deal with a
place that deals with the general public - and I don't mean the Borg.

We've had a lumber place here in town for 2-3-4 years or so. They
deal with contractors mainly - they don't have a panel saw for one
thing, so don't cut your plywood. The little dealings I've had with
them, no prob at all. I walk in, tell 'em what I need, they either
point to it, or tell me they don't carry it. No prob.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Didn't like their attitude, eh? If I reacted like that to
everyone whose attitude I didn't like I'd probably only be talking to
myself.

Well, I seldom dislike someone's attitude in a business situation, so I
think I'm OK there.

I'm not a contractor, but I've dealt with places that mainly deal
with 'em. No prob.

Same here. Place I live across from now is great.

As far as getting treated like you say ou got treated, the guy did
say they had cedar.

No, he said "it's rough like your mother-in-law" in a very FY tone.

Been me I'd have probably gone over and checked it
out.

Feel free. But it was me, and I think the guy acted like a jerk, and so
I stayed away. I'd rather Borg it or order online or drive to the next
town than give a place like that a dime. My dime, my choice.

There are retail businesses of all kinds-- not just lumber yards--
staffed with people who like to throw 'tude. In my experience, some
music stores are like that, for example. They act like the place is
their own high school clique, and you have to prove you're cool before
they let you in. Screw that. I just shop elsewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Art Greenberg wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:35:54 -0400, C&S wrote:

My last hardwood shopping experience was ... well, an experience! I drove over
2.5 hours to a place in south-central PA, to find the perfect piece of 5/4
quilted maple.

Art, do you have the name/number/address of the place in south-central
PA? I'm always looking for a good place to buy lumber.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

J T wrote:
Sounds more like a troll then a legit question. But, if not, take
your magazine when you talk to the wood store guys.

Sounds like a legitimate question from someone that's never bought
hardwood before. Why be so rude?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow, what a lot of great information! I appreciate you all taking pity
on a guy who's pretty new to this stuff.

I'll mention it here, since it came up, I'm in Los Angeles, so any good
sources are welcome. I'm going to go search the archives on this now.

DS

Posted to rec.woodworking

.... make that - a board foot is a 12 inch square by 1 inch thick. That piece
could be 12x12 or 6x24 or whatever gets to 144 square inches @ 1 inch thick.
Then if it was 2 inches thick, it would be 2 board feet. Or if it was 12x24x1 it
would also be 2 board feet. Sorry for the mistype earlier.
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Posted to rec.woodworking

VeryLargeCorp wrote:
Wow, what a lot of great information! I appreciate you all taking pity
on a guy who's pretty new to this stuff.

I'll mention it here, since it came up, I'm in Los Angeles, so any good
sources are welcome. I'm going to go search the archives on this now.

DS

Which file cabinet are you building?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

J T wrote:
If you thing I was rude, you must lead a very sheltered life. That
answer your question Buttercup?

Man, I generally like your posts. You come up with some great ideas.
I'm not out to attack you. But you've been doing woodworking for a long
time. I believe you said you are 65. I'm just saying that you have a
lot of experience and some things are totally obvious to you.

Not every newbie question is a troll. And yes, accusing someone of
being a troll (which is basically telling them to buzz off) is rude.
I'm young enough to remember when I didn't understand how to buy
hardwood for my first project either. This group is dying fast enough
as it is without us running off all the newbies.

Love,
Buttercup

Posted to rec.woodworking

bf wrote:

Not every newbie question is a troll. And yes, accusing someone of
being a troll (which is basically telling them to buzz off) is rude.

Did you notice how the OP hasn't responded to specific questions about
the project asked by those of us who might have specific tips?
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Sep 19, 2006, 7:07am (EDT-3) (bf) doth posteth
thusly:
snip Not every newbie question is a troll. And yes, accusing someone
of being a troll (which is basically telling them to buzz off) is rude.
I'm young enough to remember when I didn't understand how to buy
hardwood for my first project either. This group is dying fast enough as
it is without us running off all the newbies.

Nope, but enough troll post've started that way in the past I get
suspicious. And, I don't believe I "accussed" anyone. My original
response reads:
"Sounds more like a troll then a legit question. But, if not, take your
magazine when you talk to the wood store guys."

If I'd figured he was actually a troll I wouldn't have suggested
taking his article with him when he want shopping. Instead I'd have
told him to bugger off. "Buzz" off?

I'm young enough to remember when I didn't know how to buy wood
too. Which is why I did my homework first, plus asked the guys selling
wood (or whatever) - still do at times.

This group dying? First I'd heard. My sentiments. Personally I
feel it's just changing, which is natural, not dying.

If you want to see rude you really ought to check out some of the
other newsgroups. On some all you have to do is post and you don't
follow the secret rules of posting there you're immediately accused of
being a troll - and I don't mean in polite language either, including
the women. This is generally considered one of the polites newsgroups
around.

Bottom line, if I saw another post worded in the same way, I'd
probably be suspicious it was a troll too. There's some of the repeat
trolls you learn to recognize their style. They can be very sly you
know, like an old sewer rat, not real intelligence you understand, but
some can be quite sneaky.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

B A R R Y wrote:
bf wrote:

Not every newbie question is a troll. And yes, accusing someone of
being a troll (which is basically telling them to buzz off) is rude.

Did you notice how the OP hasn't responded to specific questions about
the project asked by those of us who might have specific tips?

Actually the OP did respond:

"Thanks for the information. This seems like something that comes from
experience, which I'm still getting!
The main thing is to find a friendlier place. These guys do everything
with a sigh and a moan and answer questions in monosyllables.
Anyway, I think I'll be able to find what I need with your advice.
Thank you! "

Looks like he found what he needed in the thread (as opposed to asking
people at the store, which apparently wasn't successful).

Posted to rec.woodworking

WTF is a troll???

(question from a GOOGLE forum newbie, not a wood working newbie)

Oh, and BTW if I was 20 years younger and some dumbass who is supposed
to be in customer service made the comment about being "rough as your
mother in law" (I don't have a mother in law but that's not the point,
it's the principal), I would have visited the shop, asked to see some
curly maple or some other wood besides the rough cedar, asked to view
some of the stock and listened....until I found the voice of the person
who was the smartass on the phone. I would have then found a suitable
piece of stock similar in length and diameter to a baseball bat and
whacked that SOB in the mouth immediatly after asking "DOES THIS FEEL
LIKE YOUR MOTHER IN LAW?". Of course I would then have gone to jail,
but the next time that "salesman" spoke another word, he would have
been speaking either through missing teeth or dentures!
Ahhhh the beauty of retail sales!!!

Anyway,
Thanks for your support

bf wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
bf wrote:

Not every newbie question is a troll. And yes, accusing someone of
being a troll (which is basically telling them to buzz off) is rude.

Did you notice how the OP hasn't responded to specific questions about
the project asked by those of us who might have specific tips?

Actually the OP did respond:

"Thanks for the information. This seems like something that comes from
experience, which I'm still getting!
The main thing is to find a friendlier place. These guys do everything
with a sigh and a moan and answer questions in monosyllables.
Anyway, I think I'll be able to find what I need with your advice.
Thank you! "

Looks like he found what he needed in the thread (as opposed to asking
people at the store, which apparently wasn't successful).

Posted to rec.woodworking

millleft wrote:
WTF is a troll???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll