Posted to rec.woodworking
boorite boorite is offline

Default how to buy hardwood?

VeryLargeCorp wrote:
Thanks for the information. This seems like something that comes from
experience, which I'm still getting!

The main thing is to find a friendlier place. These guys do everything
with a sigh and a moan and answer questions in monosyllables.

Once I was calling around the DC area trying to find rough cedar,
which, for some reason, was in short supply. At one lumber yard, a guy
picked up the phone and instead of saying "hello," continued the
conversation he was having in the store. I sat there confused for a
moment, not sure if he was talking to me or what. Then he finally
greeted me, and I asked if they had rough cedar. He said, "sure, it's
rough like your mother-in-law." Naturally, I paused to process this,
and in the silence, he said, "why don't you just come down and see."

I guess I have all week to drive all over the gridlocked DC Beltway
looking for one thing instead of bothering this poor man with a phone
call.

Screw 'em!