Posted to rec.woodworking
Geo Geo is offline

Default Building a storage shed

Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds.
Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will
be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Geo wrote:
Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds.
Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will
be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.

What part of the country (world) will it be located in?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Geo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds.
Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will
be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.

It depends where you live and what floor you want.
Most sheds do not have a foundation at all. They, like the one I built,
have a wood floor, set on 2 - 2"x 6" PT beams. They set on a concrete slab
that is part of a little used driveway.

If I could not set it on concrete, I would lay 5" thick -1" crushed rock
base.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Geo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds.
Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will
be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.

The shed I built (in SW Ohio) sits on treated 4x4's. It's 14 x 14.

This gives me the option of having it easily moved if I ever need to, and
it's not considered a permanant structure so I didn't need to worry about
permits/code.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message

"Geo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds.
Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will
be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.

The shed I built (in SW Ohio) sits on treated 4x4's. It's 14 x 14.

This gives me the option of having it easily moved if I ever need to, and
it's not considered a permanant structure so I didn't need to worry about
permits/code.

The best book anybody can buy, costs about 20 bucks or so, or get at the
library is "Low Cost Pole Building Construction". I'm on my second copy as I
wore out the first one. You will learn more about building everything from
sheds to barns to small houses that you ever imagined.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J.C." wrote in message
m...

"Locutus" wrote in message

"Geo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds.
Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will
be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.

The shed I built (in SW Ohio) sits on treated 4x4's. It's 14 x 14.

This gives me the option of having it easily moved if I ever need to, and
it's not considered a permanant structure so I didn't need to worry about
permits/code.

The best book anybody can buy, costs about 20 bucks or so, or get at the
library is "Low Cost Pole Building Construction". I'm on my second copy as
I wore out the first one. You will learn more about building everything
from sheds to barns to small houses that you ever imagined.

PS: it even has plans for some sheds, barns and houses and I just looked, my
new copy was $14.95 from Amazon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11 Sep 2006 08:05:50 -0700, "Geo" wrote:

Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds.
Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will
be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.

6-12" below the frost line. Otherwise you will need to level it every
spring.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Geo" wrote:

Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds.
Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will
be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.

If you build this shed as a skid mounted device resting on some simple
concrete blocks at midpoints and corners, you will save money on taxes
as well as not having to meet local building codes since it can't be
considered a permanent structure.

Lew