Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Thank The Gods For Inventing Popsicle Sticks

Spent some leasent time in the shop today, making a couple of
little thingies for myself. One is a sawdust sifter, because I'm gonna
b doing some things that'll need some real fine sawdust. I'm not 100%
sure just what it'll look like when it's done, because I'm still making
it. It will be a retular box, with a screen inside. Should come in
very handy.

The other little gizmo is a mold I made because I want to make a
sheekrest for my "squirrel" rifle.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...IMATESQUIRREL/ The
cheekrest will be loosely bases on the Enfield sniper rifles.
http://world.guns.ru/rifle/smle4mk1t.jpg

It'll be made using sifted sawdust, which was a bit of a PITA,
which is the reason for the sawdust sifter. I'll be molding it in a
bold I made today. I'll line the mold with pastic, so it won't stick to
the wood, and I'll be able to pull it out, and lay it on the stock to
dry, with plastic under it. I'll be able to smooth it up after it
dries, then glue it in place. Or, drill it and screw it down, not
decided on which yet.

But, when I take it out, and bend it over the stock to shape it, I'm
pretty sure it's going to crack. I don't want to fill the cracks later,
so needed some way to put some kerfs in he glue/sawdust which will for
the cheerest Did consider some dowels, but then they'd pull some of
the mix out when I pulled them out, and possibly leave some voids. Some
triangular shaped pieces might work, but too fiddley to want to mess
with making some. Then it hit me - popsicle sticks. Cut some to the
proper length, coat them with Johnson's floor wax, fill the mold, press
the popsicle sticks in place, put a piece of plastic over the top, roll
the mix fla, then gently remove the popsicle sticks, lift it out, and
bend it over the stock to dry. Once it's dry, pull it off, sand smooth,
and make any mods wanted, then fasten down. Viola. No prob.

I glued the mold together, no metal in it. That's just in case I
decide to use it for something else, and may want to run it thru the
planer. That way there's no nails to worry about, just in case. In
real life, I'll probably keep it around for a couple of days, then toss
it when I can't think of anything to use it for. Then just after the
trash truck pickes it up I'll probably think of at least one use for
it..

Oh yeah, I also used a couple of small sections of a popsicle stick
today to shim an old crosscut guide. I love popsicle sticks..

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

Did I snip enough this time?

Oh yeah, I also used a couple of small sections of a popsicle stick
today to shim an old crosscut guide. I love popsicle sticks..

I keep a sack of them I stole from my wife's craft box in the shop. I
like to twist one to get a pointed stick to put a dab of glue or
whatever right where I want it.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A penny saved is a penny.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Never tried that, I prefer drimming on the bandsaw to get the shape
I want. Not splintery that way. I don't steal mine by the way, get 'em
honest, by eating the popsicles myself. Banannanna flavor. I know how
to spell it, I just am never sure when to stop.

I find them so useful, I went out and bought a thousand at the craft store.
I spray sheets of various grades of sand paper with 3m 77 and stick popsicle
sticks to the back and when I need to sand into a tight spot just cut
between the sticks and wahla a sanding stick!

--
"shut up and keep diggen"
Jerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

... making a couple of little thingies for myself. One is a sawdust sifter, because I'm gonna b doing some things that'll need some real fine sawdust. I'm not 100% sure just what it'll look like when it's done .....

Why not use an inexpensive flour sifter? I works for me.

Oh yeah, I also used a couple of small sections of a popsicle stick today to shim an old crosscut guide. I love popsicle sticks.

The simplest thig is to buy about 1000 at a crafts supply. I use them
for applying glue, espectially Gorilla. I also use them to stir epoxy
in a cup, or mix a small amount of 5 minute epoxy on a small scrap of
formica.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"foggytown" wrote in
oups.com:

*snip*

The simplest thig is to buy about 1000 at a crafts supply.

Simple but unsatisfying. That's 500 popsicles you don't get to eat!

FoggyTown

Yeah, but when you need 500 popsicle sticks /today/ you don't want to eat
them all!

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Sep 10, 2006, 9:28pm (J*T) I went ahead
and did sayeth:
**********I stirred up a sawdust mix tonight, to try
making a cheekrest using the mold. snip I just thought, I might have
been able to save the mix by adding more sawdust. Too late for that now,
it's already been deep-sixed. Ah well.

As it turned out, most of the mix had landed on a paper in the
trash. So I dipped it out, added more sawdust, and tried again.

Got a stiffer mix this time, and when I pulled it out of the mold,
put it on the underside of the stock, clamped the plastic to hold it in
place, and it was looking good. Much better. However, it has sagged
just a bit, still usable, and there while there are no cracks in it,
there is a split or two - which should be easily enough repairable, IF
this one will work out.

Becsuse of the thickness I figure it's going to take 2-3 days
anyway to dry enough to start handling it. It does seem to be doing
well so far.

I'm thinking tho that if this one doesn't work and I have to have
another go at it, I'll use regular sawdust clay - two parts sawdust, one
part flour, water to suit. That worked very well some time back when I
tried making it. At that time someone mentioned adding some glue to
strengthen it - I figure that will be a good thing to do.

So far tho, the sadust thinned glue mix seems to work out quite
well as filler. Better than sadust clay anyway.

I still believe it can work, but if this way of making a cheekrest
ultimately doesn't work out, I'll just use some clear wood to rout and
laminate one up. That'd actually probably be easier, but thought this'd
be an interesting thing to try.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh yeah, I also used a couple of small sections of a popsicle stick
today to shim an old crosscut guide. I love popsicle sticks..

JOAT

I get them at "the dollar store" and use them to spread / mix expoxy on pen
parts (but use chip brushes from HF to 'paint' epoxy on larger surfaces.
And, if I'm ever stuck with a 6-7 year old needing entertaining, I can
pass the kid a pile of popsicle sticks and a bottle of white glue. ;-)

Bill