Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Thank The Gods For Inventing Popsicle Sticks

Spent some leasent time in the shop today, making a couple of
little thingies for myself. One is a sawdust sifter, because I'm gonna
b doing some things that'll need some real fine sawdust. I'm not 100%
sure just what it'll look like when it's done, because I'm still making
it. It will be a retular box, with a screen inside. Should come in
very handy.

The other little gizmo is a mold I made because I want to make a
sheekrest for my "squirrel" rifle.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...IMATESQUIRREL/ The
cheekrest will be loosely bases on the Enfield sniper rifles.
http://world.guns.ru/rifle/smle4mk1t.jpg

It'll be made using sifted sawdust, which was a bit of a PITA,
which is the reason for the sawdust sifter. I'll be molding it in a
bold I made today. I'll line the mold with pastic, so it won't stick to
the wood, and I'll be able to pull it out, and lay it on the stock to
dry, with plastic under it. I'll be able to smooth it up after it
dries, then glue it in place. Or, drill it and screw it down, not
decided on which yet.

But, when I take it out, and bend it over the stock to shape it, I'm
pretty sure it's going to crack. I don't want to fill the cracks later,
so needed some way to put some kerfs in he glue/sawdust which will for
the cheerest Did consider some dowels, but then they'd pull some of
the mix out when I pulled them out, and possibly leave some voids. Some
triangular shaped pieces might work, but too fiddley to want to mess
with making some. Then it hit me - popsicle sticks. Cut some to the
proper length, coat them with Johnson's floor wax, fill the mold, press
the popsicle sticks in place, put a piece of plastic over the top, roll
the mix fla, then gently remove the popsicle sticks, lift it out, and
bend it over the stock to dry. Once it's dry, pull it off, sand smooth,
and make any mods wanted, then fasten down. Viola. No prob.

I glued the mold together, no metal in it. That's just in case I
decide to use it for something else, and may want to run it thru the
planer. That way there's no nails to worry about, just in case. In
real life, I'll probably keep it around for a couple of days, then toss
it when I can't think of anything to use it for. Then just after the
trash truck pickes it up I'll probably think of at least one use for
it..

Oh yeah, I also used a couple of small sections of a popsicle stick
today to shim an old crosscut guide. I love popsicle sticks..

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.