Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best material to use for router fence

I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

It's worked great for me. Be sure to laminate both sides of the work
surface to keep it flat if you're not attaching it to some sort of
reinforcement. Most Biesemeyer-style table saw fences are either MDF or
birch ply under the face laminate.

In some cases, like spot made special fences, I don't even bother to
laminate the face. I simply paste wax the MDF and use the fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

Sure. My only recommendation would be to either leave the MDF
unfinished, or finish all sides the same way. I had an MDF/hardboard
laminated router table fence warp on me, and the only thing I can
figure out is that uneven finishing between the 2 sides led to warping.
Baltic birch ply is also a good choice, or HDPE/UHMW plastic would be
ideal if you don't need a lot of stiffness.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

I'd want something harder and slicker than MDF. Phenolic would be my
first choice. Hard, flat, doesn't shrink or swell, expensive. Plastic
laminate on the MDF would be a good second choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in news:12ftokg98v8fc63
@corp.supernews.com:

I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

I bought one that way, when I first made my router table. Slides on an
aluminum extrusion. It's worked well enough that I haven't bothered to
install the gee-whiz, fancy fence that a neighbor gave me when he moved all
his stuff to Incra.

Have fun!

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

MDF or MDF/laminate is a good choice. The laminate is
just tougher and will handle the abuse better than the
raw MDF.

For "one time" or "throw away" fences, MDF is
really hard to beat.

Locutus wrote:

I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

I used 6/4 rock maple, 20 years ago. Still perfectly flat.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6 Sep 2006 08:54:56 -0700, RicodJour wrote:
Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

I'd want something harder and slicker than MDF. Phenolic would be my
first choice. Hard, flat, doesn't shrink or swell, expensive. Plastic
laminate on the MDF would be a good second choice.

I used this stuff http://tinyurl.com/etcw4 from RS. With impact
adhesive onto MDF, seems to be holding up well

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

A slab of 1/2" Corian or equal.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wood, metail & plastic, see sample:
http://patwarner.com/images/new_fence.jpg
__________________________________________________ ________-
Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 15:07:20 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

It's worked great for me. Be sure to laminate both sides of the work
surface to keep it flat if you're not attaching it to some sort of
reinforcement. Most Biesemeyer-style table saw fences are either MDF or
birch ply under the face laminate.

In some cases, like spot made special fences, I don't even bother to
laminate the face. I simply paste wax the MDF and use the fence.

Where does one buy laminate anyway? This is where a bunch of people
will chime in on how they get off cuts for free from some cabinet
place or something, but where do you buy the stuff? Google just gets
me to a billion links about flooring.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote:

Where does one buy laminate anyway? This is where a bunch of people
will chime in on how they get off cuts for free from some cabinet
place or something, but where do you buy the stuff?

Just did a Google for "wilsonart".

Should get you started.

Didn't check "Formica".

There must be others.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 06:08:38 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Leuf wrote:

Where does one buy laminate anyway? This is where a bunch of people
will chime in on how they get off cuts for free from some cabinet
place or something, but where do you buy the stuff?

Just did a Google for "wilsonart".

Should get you started.

Sorry, I mean able to buy online, in sizes that would be handy for
workshop projects. None of the Lee Valley, Rockler, Woodcraft etc
seem to carry any. I'd feel kind of silly walking into a distributer
looking for a 4"x30" piece. You'd think somebody would be selling
smaller pieces. Couldn't even find any on ebay.

What about sheet metal for a fence face? I was going to get some to
try making a small cyclone for the shop vac anyway.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Leuf wrote:

Where does one buy laminate anyway? This is where a bunch of people
will chime in on how they get off cuts for free from some cabinet
place or something, but where do you buy the stuff?

Just did a Google for "wilsonart".

Should get you started.

Sorry, I mean able to buy online, in sizes that would be handy for
workshop projects. None of the Lee Valley, Rockler, Woodcraft etc
seem to carry any. I'd feel kind of silly walking into a distributer
looking for a 4"x30" piece. You'd think somebody would be selling
smaller pieces. Couldn't even find any on ebay.

What about sheet metal for a fence face? I was going to get some to
try making a small cyclone for the shop vac anyway.

-Leuf

Bakealite is a solid material,almost identical to laminate.
Good medium to work with as well and is ideal for fence.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote:

Where does one buy laminate anyway?

My local home centers carry it up to 4x8 foot sheets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MDF is a great choice. Stable, relatively durable and easy to machine for
fittings, channels, etc.

If you want to make one that is pretty, Maple is also a good choice. I
built a Maple fence with channels and end extensions for my 30 year-old
drill press a year or so ago. It is absolutely the 'purdiest' part of that
old machine.

RonB

"Locutus" wrote in message
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Leuf wrote:

Where does one buy laminate anyway? This is where a bunch of people
will chime in on how they get off cuts for free from some cabinet
place or something, but where do you buy the stuff?

Just did a Google for "wilsonart".

Should get you started.

Sorry, I mean able to buy online, in sizes that would be handy for
workshop projects. None of the Lee Valley, Rockler, Woodcraft etc
seem to carry any. I'd feel kind of silly walking into a distributer
looking for a 4"x30" piece. You'd think somebody would be selling
smaller pieces. Couldn't even find any on ebay.

What about sheet metal for a fence face? I was going to get some to
try making a small cyclone for the shop vac anyway.

-Leuf

I got some from my local Woodcraft a while back. Didn't check on-line, I
just went in to fondle toys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

It's worked great for me. Be sure to laminate both sides of the work
surface to keep it flat if you're not attaching it to some sort of
reinforcement. Most Biesemeyer-style table saw fences are either MDF or
birch ply under the face laminate.

In some cases, like spot made special fences, I don't even bother to
laminate the face. I simply paste wax the MDF and use the fence.

Not sure but I think the OP is talking about the MDF that comes with coating??
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

news

Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

It's worked great for me. Be sure to laminate both sides of the work
surface to keep it flat if you're not attaching it to some sort of
reinforcement. Most Biesemeyer-style table saw fences are either MDF or
birch ply under the face laminate.

In some cases, like spot made special fences, I don't even bother to
laminate the face. I simply paste wax the MDF and use the fence.

Not sure but I think the OP is talking about the MDF that comes with
coating??
Mac

That is correct, they sell it at HD.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat,

New product coming out I see. Looks like it's a pivoting fence but I don't
understand why the aluminum stiffener on the face? Or is this a special
purpose use fence that you've designed?

Bob S.

ups.com...
Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pretty special, but for general use, Bob.

Yes it pivots. Plan on CD-R on the Router Table, plans for that fence
in the CD.
Pivot is the simplest design for precision & accuracy. Will offer the
critical parts, all, part or none.
Stiffener: Adds substantially to deflection resistance and clamps the
plastic down flat.
Numbers show .001" deflection at the C/L with 25 static pounds at that
point.

Key to this one: Cutter is damn hard to get to the operator ( a curtain
safety fence) and there are no interruptions; it is continouous.
More in a few weeks.

PW
BobS wrote:
Pat,

New product coming out I see. Looks like it's a pivoting fence but I don't
understand why the aluminum stiffener on the face? Or is this a special
purpose use fence that you've designed?

Bob S.

ups.com...
Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat,

Thanks for the info and with those specs - it's obviously a very solid
design.

Bob S.

ups.com...

BobS wrote:
Pat,

New product coming out I see. Looks like it's a pivoting fence but I
don't
understand why the aluminum stiffener on the face? Or is this a special
purpose use fence that you've designed?

Bob S.

ups.com...
Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw
fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a Freud adjustable router fence a year or so ago. It uses laminate
fencing ...The thing I found was that the laminate would bend slightly when
running through wood, thus giving an inaccurate cut. I solved it by adding a
couple of slotted adjustable arms to the rear of each side of the fence.
Once I have the fence where I want it I simply slide the arms up to it and
tighten them down...works fine. Too bad I can't post a picture here.

BTW - I contacted Freud and told them about this, offering my solution, but
never ever got even an acknowledgment that they received it.

Recently I bought two hefty pieces of aluminium angle and plan to make a
fence, similar to the laminate one, to replace it. Once that's positioned I
can't see it flexing.

Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW,

I built the "old" one that Pat had written an article for FWW a few years
back. That router fence design is one of the best I've ever seen or used. I
think Freud "borrowed" some of Pat's design, cheapened it up and generally
made a mess of what could have been a decent fence. But as someone else has
written already - it flexes easily and doesn't hold alignment well. I had a
chance to use one when they first hit the market and found it to be lacking
in a lot of ways.

Pat's design may be overkill for some applications - as he's stated many
times, a 2x4 will work. But if you want a solid router fence that is
versatile, precision adjustable and repeatable - then this is the fence to
have:

http://www.patwarner.com/routerfence.html

I understand that he has made some minor improvements on the initial design.
It is definitely not a toy and while it's not rocket science to build one,
it does present some challenges and you better have some knowledge of what
it takes to make some precision cuts in order to get the 1 thou (or better)
accuracy. Do you need that kind of accuracy? Depends on what you're doing
of course but knowing it is capable of that and that you can dial-in your
cuts sure is nice...

I've coupled it with the Jessem Rout-R-Lift and it makes for a helluva
combination. It was one of the most challenging shop projects I've done but
it is one of the most used tools in the shop. I've learned a lot from Pat's
books and his articles - he knows what he's talking about and is an
excellent teacher.

Bob S.

ink.net...

"BobS" wrote in message
Pat,

New product coming out I see. Looks like it's a pivoting fence but I

don't
understand why the aluminum stiffener on the face? Or is this a special
purpose use fence that you've designed?

Bob S.

ups.com...

Which Fence rockfish Woodworking 10 February 2nd 06 04:46 PM
Need help with the Excalibur sliding table. max Woodworking 6 April 15th 05 05:48 PM
Table Saw Fence Recall Sears Rich Woodworking 0 April 7th 05 11:27 PM
TS fence upgrade? Faizal Ali Woodworking 0 March 11th 05 04:30 PM
Ping - Leon (Trials and Tribulations of Finding an Accurate Fence) Bob Woodworking 2 June 28th 04 09:52 PM