Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS BobS is offline

Default Best material to use for router fence

CW,

I built the "old" one that Pat had written an article for FWW a few years
back. That router fence design is one of the best I've ever seen or used. I
think Freud "borrowed" some of Pat's design, cheapened it up and generally
made a mess of what could have been a decent fence. But as someone else has
written already - it flexes easily and doesn't hold alignment well. I had a
chance to use one when they first hit the market and found it to be lacking
in a lot of ways.

Pat's design may be overkill for some applications - as he's stated many
times, a 2x4 will work. But if you want a solid router fence that is
versatile, precision adjustable and repeatable - then this is the fence to
have:

http://www.patwarner.com/routerfence.html

I understand that he has made some minor improvements on the initial design.
It is definitely not a toy and while it's not rocket science to build one,
it does present some challenges and you better have some knowledge of what
it takes to make some precision cuts in order to get the 1 thou (or better)
accuracy. Do you need that kind of accuracy? Depends on what you're doing
of course but knowing it is capable of that and that you can dial-in your
cuts sure is nice...

I've coupled it with the Jessem Rout-R-Lift and it makes for a helluva
combination. It was one of the most challenging shop projects I've done but
it is one of the most used tools in the shop. I've learned a lot from Pat's
books and his articles - he knows what he's talking about and is an
excellent teacher.

Bob S.

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
Just looked again. Thought it was the old one. Nope.

"BobS" wrote in message
Pat,

New product coming out I see. Looks like it's a pivoting fence but I

don't
understand why the aluminum stiffener on the face? Or is this a special
purpose use fence that you've designed?

Bob S.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Wood, metail & plastic, see sample:
http://patwarner.com/images/new_fence.jpg
Locutus wrote:
I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw

fence,
would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?