Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I need help from a brilliant furniture designer!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg

I made it exactly how the customer wanted, to hold a lcd TV.
Sadly, they measured the screen only, so the TV and stand will not fit in!
She wants me to make the inside 2" higher.
The top is a mitered; the bottom is butt jointed. I thought of sawing the
bottom out and putting a new bottom below it but that would only gain 3/4".
She is willing to pay for "repairs", but I can't think of anything that
wouldn't look like repairs.
Any ideas of anything that could be done that would look good?
The project is butternut.

I suspect it is cheaper and easer just to start over, but would like to
salvage it if I can.

I would like to put some walnut uprights in it, and hang the TV from the
uprights (losing the stand . I think that would look great, but she
doesn't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg

I made it exactly how the customer wanted, to hold a lcd TV.
Sadly, they measured the screen only, so the TV and stand will not
fit in! She wants me to make the inside 2" higher.
The top is a mitered; the bottom is butt jointed. I thought of
sawing the bottom out and putting a new bottom below it but that
would only gain 3/4". She is willing to pay for "repairs", but I
can't think of anything that wouldn't look like repairs.
Any ideas of anything that could be done that would look good?
The project is butternut.

I suspect it is cheaper and easer just to start over, but would like
to salvage it if I can.

I would like to put some walnut uprights in it, and hang the TV from
the uprights (losing the stand . I think that would look great, but
she doesn't.

You could cut the top off about 2" or 3" down and biscuit joint it with a
darker piece of 2" in between the top and lower body.
This will give a nice band going around the top.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Toller wrote:
[...]

The grain on the sides runs vertically. That would make it difficult, as
the insert would have to be vertical also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
[...]

Got any dark walnut? this wouldn't matter about the grain going opposite
directions as it will look ok.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
[...]

Maybe I am not understanding you. If I put horizontal grain walnut in
between two pieces of vertical grain butternut it should crack when the wood
moves.
But maybe you meant something else...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

Could you do it like the Earl of Derby said and then put a chair rail type
moulding around it? Maybe use a small chunk of moulding and slide it up and
down the case till you find the spot that looks best and cut it there? Maybe
if you could post a pic of it others may have better solutions for you.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:50:07 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg

I made it exactly how the customer wanted, to hold a lcd TV.
Sadly, they measured the screen only, so the TV and stand will not fit in!
She wants me to make the inside 2" higher.
The top is a mitered; the bottom is butt jointed. I thought of sawing the
bottom out and putting a new bottom below it but that would only gain 3/4".
She is willing to pay for "repairs", but I can't think of anything that
wouldn't look like repairs.
Any ideas of anything that could be done that would look good?
The project is butternut.

I suspect it is cheaper and easer just to start over, but would like to
salvage it if I can.

I would like to put some walnut uprights in it, and hang the TV from the
uprights (losing the stand . I think that would look great, but she
doesn't.

Cut the bottom off and fit a thicker bit of walnut to the base to get
the 2". You could do a sliding dovetail joint or a dado.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

You could cut the top off about 2" or 3" down and biscuit joint it
with a darker piece of 2" in between the top and lower body.
This will give a nice band going around the top.

Maybe I am not understanding you. If I put horizontal grain walnut in
between two pieces of vertical grain butternut it should crack when the wood
moves.
But maybe you meant something else...

So why can't you put a stripe of vertical-grain walnut in the
vertical-grain section, and horizontal grain for the back? It might
take some careful planning to cut the top off your finished piece and
glue up a chunk of walnut, but if you glued up a piece that was 6" high
x (depth of workpiece) long, you could then cut that down to two 3"
high pieces. I think a 2-3" stripe of walnut could look really nice,
especially if the base were walnut also. I love the contrast of
butternut and walnut - obviously different colors, but very similar
grain patterns and there's a similar "warmth" or "value" or "tone" or
something between the 2 colors. (As you can see, I don't know the real
words to describe the various aspects of colors, but do you know what I
mean?)
Good luck, and let us know what works,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
You could cut the top off about 2" or 3" down and biscuit joint it
with a
darker piece of 2" in between the top and lower body.
This will give a nice band going around the top.

The grain on the sides runs vertically. That would make it difficult,
as the insert would have to be vertical also.

Use the same butternut oriented the same way; stain it darker or
bleach it lighter or use maple for a contrasting band. Some variation
of the theme is likely your best bet though.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg

I made it exactly how the customer wanted, to hold a lcd TV.
Sadly, they measured the screen only, so the TV and stand will not
fit in! She wants me to make the inside 2" higher.
The top is a mitered; the bottom is butt jointed. I thought of
sawing the bottom out and putting a new bottom below it but that
would only gain 3/4". She is willing to pay for "repairs", but I
can't think of anything that wouldn't look like repairs.
Any ideas of anything that could be done that would look good?
The project is butternut.

I suspect it is cheaper and easer just to start over, but would like
to salvage it if I can.

I would like to put some walnut uprights in it, and hang the TV from
the uprights (losing the stand . I think that would look great, but
she doesn't.

Here's another ;-)

Cut a recess inside the bottom resting panel were the TV would sit and if
possible a support ledge in the recess for the TV stand to sit on.

Or do you think she might not like that?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Here's another ;-)

Cut a recess inside the bottom resting panel were the TV would sit
and if possible a support ledge in the recess for the TV stand to sit
on.

Or do you think she might not like that?

Forget that it won't work. :-(

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

Maybe I am not understanding you. If I put horizontal grain walnut in
between two pieces of vertical grain butternut it should crack when
the wood moves.
But maybe you meant something else...

How do you mean *Crack* ?

If you where to biscuit joint the new walnut section all round it shouldn't
have any adverse effects on the wood.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

Maybe I am not understanding you. If I put horizontal grain walnut in
between two pieces of vertical grain butternut it should crack when
the wood moves.
But maybe you meant something else...

How do you mean *Crack* ?

If you where to biscuit joint the new walnut section all round it
shouldn't
have any adverse effects on the wood.

"what I have always heard"
The butternut will want to move about a quarter of an inch (16" times
..2"/foot) from summer to winter. The walnut will not move at all. That
movement cannot be contained in the joint, which will crack to accomodate
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cut it in half with a bandsaw, add 3" piece with grain running same
direction. Rout a recess at the two seams and add a banding strip.Does
the TV have enough ventalation?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

If this was my project, I bet they would think losing the stand would be OK
if I told them how much it would be to "fix" it. My first thought before
reading your last paragraph was to attach to the VESA mounts that I assume
are there to hold the TV.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Could you just build an extension box onto the existing box?
If the OA depth increase would be excessive then you could remove a
corresponding width from the existing box on the TS.
Also, on the box stand base unit, why are you showing the butt ends.?
Is there a reson for that?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Orrrr, instead of a banding strip, a nice piece of custom molding in a
matching or contrasting color, depending on the customer's wishes.

--Jim

"henry" wrote in message
ps.com...

Cut it in half with a bandsaw, add 3" piece with grain running same
direction. Rout a recess at the two seams and add a banding strip.Does
the TV have enough ventalation?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller,
Consider splicing in a 2" piece at the top and covering it on the sides
with a decorative moulding. The splice could be biscuited and covered
on the inside with a piece of veneer. The LCD screen has a dead spot at
the top which isn't used so a smaller moulding arched to see the screen
but dropping at the corners to match the side mouldings would not look
bad. Anyway you fix it, I would charge a lot, just for the frustration
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Also, on the box stand base unit, why are you showing the butt ends.?
Is there a reson for that?

You noticed that....
The side pieces have vertical grain , while the front piece has horizontal
grain; I didn't think the 6" joint was long enough for wood movement to
matter, especially since they are connected with pocket screws.
Since the front piece would show end grain I figured I would put the front
piece between the side pieces, since they wouldn't be end grain. I didn't
think the perpendicular grain would be as conspicuous as it actually is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote...
You noticed that....
The side pieces have vertical grain , while the front piece has horizontal
grain; I didn't think the 6" joint was long enough for wood movement to
matter, especially since they are connected with pocket screws.
Since the front piece would show end grain I figured I would put the front
piece between the side pieces, since they wouldn't be end grain. I

didn't
think the perpendicular grain would be as conspicuous as it actually is.

I wouldn't worry about that; call it a design feature.

I can think of a few fixes for your cabinet:

1st & easiest, why not cut out the bottom and drop it the full 2" that's
needed? You could suport the bottom with cleats attached to the base.
That is, if the TV base is small enough to fit into the cabinet base.

2nd & do-able, but will alter the look a bit; knock the cabinet apart, cut
off the miters, and a little more on the top, and add a block that will
connect the top to the sides. You could radius the exposed corner, of make
it from a contrasting wood.

3rdly, you might just have to make a new cabinet. At least it's a fairly
simply design.

You could offer the three options to the client and level with her; option
one you'll do for free, option 2 will cost a little extra for the repair,
and option 3 there's no way you can charge for another entire cabinet so
you'll lose your shirt. Or, if you think option one will work and the TV
base will fit into a dropped cabinet bottom in the base, tell her you've
solved the problem, and it will actually look better because it will hide
the base, and all you'll see is the tv screen in the cabinet.

Good luck, hope this helps.
And next time, get the spec sheet for the tv before you build! 8^)

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
She is willing to pay for "repairs", but I can't think of anything that
wouldn't look like repairs.

I'd add to the bottom and make it a "feature" somehow. Maybe a contrasting
wood. I'd also add some ventilation; even LCD generate some heat.