Posted to rec.woodworking
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default I need help from a brilliant furniture designer!

Toller wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Toller wrote:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg

I made it exactly how the customer wanted, to hold a lcd TV.
Sadly, they measured the screen only, so the TV and stand will not
fit in! She wants me to make the inside 2" higher.
The top is a mitered; the bottom is butt jointed. I thought of
sawing the bottom out and putting a new bottom below it but that
would only gain 3/4". She is willing to pay for "repairs", but I
can't think of anything that wouldn't look like repairs.
Any ideas of anything that could be done that would look good?
The project is butternut.

I suspect it is cheaper and easer just to start over, but would like
to salvage it if I can.

I would like to put some walnut uprights in it, and hang the TV from
the uprights (losing the stand . I think that would look great, but
she doesn't.

You could cut the top off about 2" or 3" down and biscuit joint it
with a darker piece of 2" in between the top and lower body.
This will give a nice band going around the top.

The grain on the sides runs vertically. That would make it
difficult, as the insert would have to be vertical also.

Got any dark walnut? this wouldn't matter about the grain going opposite
directions as it will look ok.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite