Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default PING Morris

http://people.linux-gull.ch/rossen/solar/index.html

This might help ya.

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

http://www.geocities.com/davidvwilliamson/stirling.html

This one's got pictures. Heh heh. I would imagaine if you scaled
it up a bit, say use a 55 gallon drum, it'd be just right for a boat.

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
http://www.geocities.com/davidvwilliamson/stirling.html

This one's got pictures. Heh heh. I would imagaine if you
scaled it up a bit, say use a 55 gallon drum, it'd be just right for
a boat.

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Whats all this got to do with woodworking?

Should be in...alt.binaries.silly-inventions

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 03:06:37 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:

J T wrote:
http://www.geocities.com/davidvwilliamson/stirling.html

This one's got pictures. Heh heh. I would imagaine if you
scaled it up a bit, say use a 55 gallon drum, it'd be just right for
a boat.

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Whats all this got to do with woodworking?

Should be in...alt.binaries.silly-inventions

yeah, until the lights go out and you still want power for your shop...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Sep 1, 2006, 7:41am (EDT-3)
(mac*davis) doth wisely state:
yeah, until the lights go out and you still want power for your shop...

A lot of years back, a number of companies made small,
self-contained, portable, power plants, steam operated. I've been
working on developing a steam powered generator, but it keeps getting
shoved to the back-burner. Wouldn't really be difficult, take an old
generator (or there are various ways to make one from old motors), and
hook up a small steam engine to it. You could, of course, use a small
gas engine instead (new ones are cheap, used ones are sometimes even
free), but that wouldn't be near as much fun. Monotube boiler is a
given - faster steaming, easier to make, no danger of exploding. Fuel
could be basically about anything that'd burn. I'd stay away from stuff
like old tires (very bad smell), and scented lamp oil (way too
expensive). I'd say stick with something like, propane, Diesel fuel,
kerosene, etc., basically light it and let it run. Or, you could use
solid fuel, wood/sawdust, coal, charcoal, etc. - depending on how much
you were willing to fuss with it.

If you have no romance in your soul you get a gas powered portable
generator and let it go at that. You can get one cheap after a major
storm. Around here there's alway a huge rush before a major storm from
people with an excess of money and a shortage of sense, then a flood of
"returns" to the store because the customers weren't "satisfied" with
them. Either that or they sell them at a horrific loss.

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T (in ) said:

http://people.linux-gull.ch/rossen/solar/index.html

| This might help ya.

The problem with heliostats is that they're best suited for
applications requiring really high temperatures (and materials that
can withstand those temperatures!) - and I'm aiming at point-of-use
temperatures just less than the boiling point of water and, even so,
find myself wrestling with materials problems.

The heliostat tracking systems are generally motor-driven which
pre-supposes available electrical power - and (for the present
project) I'm trying to stick to a strictly solar-mechanical approach
and to solutions that can be prototyped in a woodworking shop.

Having said all that, I like Rossen's web pages and his willingness to
share his knoledge and experience.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T (in ) said:

http://www.geocities.com/davidvwilliamson/stirling.html

| This one's got pictures. Heh heh. I would imagaine if you
| scaled it up a bit, say use a 55 gallon drum, it'd be just right
| for a boat.

Yeah, ok - but you might want to upgrade the bearings to marine-grade
cardboard :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby (in
) said:

| J T wrote:
|| http://www.geocities.com/davidvwilliamson/stirling.html
|| This one's got pictures. Heh heh. I would imagaine if you
|| scaled it up a bit, say use a 55 gallon drum, it'd be just right
|| for a boat.
|
| Whats all this got to do with woodworking?
|
| Should be in...alt.binaries.silly-inventions

Coopered teak barrel, naturally. :-D

In an earlier thread I picked the group's brains for a project that
actually is more topical in alt.solar.thermal and for which many of
the prototype parts are wood and the whole project is being fabricated
in a woodshop. There's a bit of info on the web page at the link
below; and you're invited to join in at news:alt.solar.thermal or via
direct e-mail.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar