Posted to rec.woodworking

Default murphy bed tips?

hello,

I am planning to build a 'murphy bed' and would like to get tips and trick
from those of you who have already build some...

what is the easiest, cheap, hardware to use for example?

cyrille

Posted to rec.woodworking

I needed a Murphy bed but the only hardware I could find was for a bed that
would protrude 24 inches from the wall in the closed position. Much too big
for the room. So I had a foam mattress made 6" X 60" x 80", queen size. I
built an open faced cabinet that sticks out 12". I made a 2" thick torsion
box, 61 x 81 and hung it at the lower end of the cabinet with a continuous
hinge, steel brass plated 11" from the floor. So the top of the bed is 11
+2+ 6"= 19 " above the floor. I made the trim on the face of the box out of
cherry and the bottom of the torsion box out of 1/4" cherry plywood. Then I
built shelves on each side of the cabinet for books and other decorative
things. My wife displays weavings on the face of the torsion box so the
wall doesn't look like a Murphy bed.

The negatives a There is no counterbalance mechanism therefore I have to
lift and let down the thing myself. It is not very heavy so it's not a big
deal. The first one I made was out of 2 1/4 " of plywood and it was too
heavy.

I also have made 2 pieces of 3/4 " x 11" plywood that store behind the bed
in the cabinet and fit together like an egg crate these I put under the bed
3/4 of the way toward the foot of the bed to hold it up level with the
hinge. One is 4ft long and the other is 2ft long.

The bed has been in place since 1998 and works just fine. I spent 6 weeks
in there recovering from knee surgery. The thing is very comfortable.
And looks a lot better than those 24" deep Murphy beds.