Posted to rec.woodworking

Default close call today, fortunately, no harm to man or machine

Hey all,
I was ripping some OSB leftovers from an earlier roofing job. As I
attempted to make the second cut the board jammed and I noticed that
the table insert was lifting up at the front.
I hit the STOP switch (with my knee) and waited until the blade stopped
before I moved anything , fearing that the slightest twitch could cause
the insert to strike the blade.
After a long sigh of relief I inspected to see what may have caused
this.

What occurred; there was some adhesive material on the board that
adhered to the blade guard during the first cut. The guard then stuck
to the insert and during the second cut when the board raised up the
guard it also lifted the insert.

I've got to be more observant.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like you kept your cool and used your head. Glad you're ok

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, marc
rosen wrote:

Hey all,
I was ripping some OSB leftovers from an earlier roofing job. As I
attempted to make the second cut the board jammed and I noticed that
the table insert was lifting up at the front.
I hit the STOP switch (with my knee) and waited until the blade stopped
before I moved anything , fearing that the slightest twitch could cause
the insert to strike the blade.
After a long sigh of relief I inspected to see what may have caused
this.

What occurred; there was some adhesive material on the board that
adhered to the blade guard during the first cut. The guard then stuck
to the insert and during the second cut when the board raised up the
guard it also lifted the insert.

I've got to be more observant.

Seems to me you were observant enough today.

You saw a problem and reacted quickly and appropriately, and avoided
injury.

Well done!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey all,
I was ripping some OSB leftovers from an earlier roofing job. As I
attempted to make the second cut the board jammed and I noticed that
the table insert was lifting up at the front.
I hit the STOP switch (with my knee) and waited until the blade stopped
before I moved anything , fearing that the slightest twitch could cause
the insert to strike the blade.
After a long sigh of relief I inspected to see what may have caused
this.

What occurred; there was some adhesive material on the board that
adhered to the blade guard during the first cut. The guard then stuck
to the insert and during the second cut when the board raised up the
guard it also lifted the insert.

I've got to be more observant.
Marc

Was it Yogi or Lasorda that said,

"You can see a lot by observing."

I have had a few of those moments when you just pause, for some unknown
reason, and see the darndest things.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Was it Yogi or Lasorda that said,

"You can see a lot by observing."

I have had a few of those moments when you just pause, for some unknown
reason, and see the darndest things.

Steve

I think it was Yoda!

Seriously though, when I upgraded from my Craftsman to a Unisaw I was
concerned because the Uni insert just lays there; the Craftsman was
screwed down. However I never heard any horror stories about inserts
flying out. First time I turned on the Uni and I heard the insert
"jump" in its recess I got scared. You can make leveling adjustments
on the Uni insert but nothing for side play. I know several of the
commercial zero clearance inserts hade side play adjustment.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

The other good thing you did was having a switch you could use with your
knee.

I went to buy one for my router table but they were out of stock that day.
Based on your story I now plan to retrofit my table saw as well. Two of
these for me, please:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NTITEM=B2561

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in news:FYaIg.3043$rT5.1916
@fed1read01:

Was it Yogi or Lasorda that said,

"You can see a lot by observing."

I have had a few of those moments when you just pause, for some unknown
reason, and see the darndest things.

Steve

"You can observe a lot just by watching." -- Yogi Berra

(It's easier to find a quote w/ Google when it's word for word.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

These look interesting. Wish they listed specific electrical volt/amp
ratings. Wonder also why these magnetic switches are only $10 while the
ones Grizzly carried were $40-$80; I see Grizzly is also now additionally
offering a ~$10 magnetic switch but only a snap-in and no paddle.

Anyone know if Busy Bee online prices are $US or $CA and whether they ship
to USA?

David Merrill

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message

Based on your story I now plan to retrofit my table saw as well. Two of
these for me, please:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NTITEM=B2561

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Page 24 of the flyer quotes it as

110V - 35 Amp or
220V - 20AMP

- Owen -

"David Merrill" wrote in message
These look interesting. Wish they listed specific electrical volt/amp
ratings. Wonder also why these magnetic switches are only $10 while the
ones Grizzly carried were $40-$80; I see Grizzly is also now additionally
offering a ~$10 magnetic switch but only a snap-in and no paddle.

Anyone know if Busy Bee online prices are $US or $CA and whether they ship
to USA?

David Merrill

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message

Based on your story I now plan to retrofit my table saw as well. Two of
these for me, please:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NTITEM=B2561

- Owen -

Self-Reproducing Machine Tools Doug Goncz Metalworking 17 July 13th 17 05:57 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
CLOSE CALL - SMOKE ALARM IN THE SHOP? T. Woodworking 47 December 6th 03 04:35 AM
Quantum Mechanics and Self-Replicating Machines Doug Goncz Metalworking 34 September 17th 03 04:06 PM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 01:09 AM