Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default neanderthal (3rd World) woodworking

On a recent 96 Hour Pass I jumped a flight from Kuwait down to Qatar.

Me, waiting for my flight out:
http://www.shavings.net/images/navy/...od/waiting.JPG

Did all the usual R&R stuff us military folks do, relax, eat, sleep.
( Everything revolves around drinking our 3 alloted beers per day ;-)

On a tour to Doha City (Qatar) we went to the "Old Souks" which is the
oldest section of town, about 4 city block of ancient stalls and shops
selling all sorts of crap to tourists. While walking along I spotted
something that made me stop and take a pictu
http://www.shavings.net/images/navy/...atsoutside.JPG

Behind the boats, my eyes gleamed and my heart quickened as a spied a
pile of raw lumber:
http://www.shavings.net/images/navy/...ood/lumber.JPG

Upon entering the small storefront my nostrils were filled with the
aroma of teak, cedar, and tung oil.

I wondered around the small store admiringing at the craftsmanship of
the various objects:
http://www.shavings.net/images/navy/...croll-work.JPG
http://www.shavings.net/images/navy/...model-boat.JPG
http://www.shavings.net/images/navy/...ood/chairs.JPG

The proprietor came out of the "back room" and betwen his extrememly
broken english and my total lack of Arabic, we communicated mostly via
gestures and hand signs, and I conveyed to him that I was also a
woodworker and he took me back into his work space, behind a curatin in
the back of the shop. Keep in mind that everything this guy made on
disply in the front of the store was completed, start to finish in this
humble workspace (including the big boats outside).

http://www.shavings.net/images/navy/.../workspace.JPG

That is all thers is.... and ther is no more! That is the ENTIRE scope
of the "shop". So the next time you are complaining that you are
running out of room in your 3-car garage turned "Shrine to Norm".Quit
yer' bitchin, and suck it up!

On the way out I spied a succulent bow-drill that I tried to purchase,
however it was not for sale, since it was his only drill (besides his 2
braces)

http://www.shavings.net/images/navy/.../bow-drill.JPG
I wonder how much Pat Leach would charge for something like that?-)

--
V/R
The Sand Squid

VERY IMPORTANT - MUY IMPORTANTE - okay UK diy 438 April 3rd 06 10:04 PM
Bill Maher Cliff Metalworking 340 March 11th 06 01:23 PM
Warning on Magazine Subscription from Magazine World [email protected] Woodworking 1 March 11th 06 01:21 AM
FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM