Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help me pick a knob for my big ash table... (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

My big ash table is almost done. I have brushed 3 coats of Minwax water
based poly onto the base and bottom of the table and 5 coats onto the top of
the table. I wet sanded the top with 600 grit paper and rubbed it out with
2F pumice. I then waxed the top with Lee Valley blue label wax which
ironically comes in a can with a yellow label.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...lmostdone1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...lmostdone2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...lmostdone3.jpg

I have been debating what type/style of knob should go on the drawer. A
friend of mine who had a number of knobs at her place gave me a bunch to see
what would look best on my table.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/allknobs.jpg

Which one do you think works best with the table? Or alternatively, do you
have another suggestion for a better pull for the drawer?

Thanks,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, In mine, I'm him

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very NICE! I really like the legs! With the pull IMHO I would go with a
mission style pull.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1675

Letter D.

Or maybe make one yourself from a piece of contrasting wood?

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:46:46 -0700, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

... snip
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/allknobs.jpg

Which one do you think works best with the table? Or alternatively, do you
have another suggestion for a better pull for the drawer?

Alright, from your abpf posting, from the top down:

1) Looks too institutional, although the scale is probably about right for
the mass of the table
2) Hard to tell from the picture with the knob, but looking at the size of
the table, it looks like that may be too small
3) I like it, but you have to live with it
4) Interesting, might be worth using some double-sided tape and evaluating
5) Nah (again, my opinion)
6) Might work, but again, given the size of the table, it might not look
right

Probably the biggest thing is going to be picking a handle that scales
well to the table. Take a look at Woodsmith #163, they had a pretty good
overview of proportions for chest hardware, maybe you could extend that to
your application.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:
[...]

This one.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/P...roductID=50210

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:
[...]

None of them. :-(

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

As long as you are asking, the top pull is my choice (very functional,
no catch edges, easy to clean food residue from, etc ). I will be
installing similar pulls on my kitchen cabinets this fall.
By the way, I have enjoyed your presentation of your table's
construction.; Thanks for the updatees andf the inspiration.
Marc

David F. Eisan wrote:

Which one do you think works best with the table? Or alternatively, do you
have another suggestion for a better pull for the drawer?

Thanks,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, In mine, I'm him

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:
[...]

Let me get this straight...

You told a girlfriend about your big ash and see invited you over to
see her knobs? Wow, that never works for me...

I like the top one as well.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Which one do you think works best with the table? Or alternatively, do you
have another suggestion for a better pull for the drawer?

Thanks,

David.

Of the knobs you have presented, the top one is clearly my pick.
The rest are 'cutesy fad-ware'.

A 'reach under'-type pull (like the top one) would be nice if it was
made from ash.
You just can't have a dainty knob on a table with that kind of
presence.(IMHO)

I looked around the pictures of your shoppe and didn't see a crane
anywhere. How ARE you going to move that table?

NICE!

Rob

PS.. I always find it extremely comical to see a movie of cowboys
hiding behind a table when they're being shot at in a barfight. Your
table could actually stop most hand-held fire-power.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David,

The purpose of a drawer knob is to be functional and to draw the attention
of the eye - in most cases. I would suggest a carved inset (oval about 3"
across, 1/2" deep) with an ash made pull centered. This would be
unobtrusive and not call attention to itself but yet be elegant and unique
when it is noticed noticed.

Bob S.

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Your table is dead simple. Use a dead simple pull, or it will be
out-of-sync with the style of your table. Use the cup pull.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:
[...]

If you don't go with the top one, what about making a pull out of a
contrasting wood? Something simple out of Wenge or Bubinga....

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:
Which one...

none of those. make your own from the same or contrasting wood.

Every Neighbourhood has one, In mine, I'm him

after all, you're him...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

none of those. make your own from the same

I agree, the table has such a crisp, clean look, I'd like an ash knob.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree w/I think it was Robatoy. . .
The first one (half cupped upside down), but thats my choice.

BEAUTIFUL work on the table!!!

Duff

Posted to rec.woodworking

none of those. make your own from the same

I agree, the table has such a crisp, clean look, I'd like an ash knob.

I wasn't going to say anything because it's such a matter of personal taste,
but mine seems to be different enough from everyone else that made
suggestions that I'll mention my impression anyway.

What strikes me about your table is that it's all ash and it's all straight
lines. I think you'd be doing it a disservice by putting a round knob on it
(with a curve of any kind), or any kind of knob not made of ash.

If you want it to stand out (though I think that's unnecessary), you could
get a little bit fancy with chamfers small and large. But those tapered
legs give you something to match, so I'd keep with that theme as much as
possible.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David F. Eisan"

My big ash table is almost done.
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...lmostdone1.jpg

I have been debating what type/style of knob should go on the drawer. A
friend of mine who had a number of knobs at her place gave me a bunch to
see what would look best on my table.

David, I too think that since you went to the trouble to make a flush,
grain-aligned drawer, in the apron, you don't want it to stand out. Make a
simple Ash, round drawer pull.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Which one do you think works best with the table? Or alternatively, do you
have another suggestion for a better pull for the drawer?

Thanks,

David.

I gave it some more thought.

There is a push/push doo-hicky that works like a ballpoint-pen
mechanism. It mounts behind the drawer.
The drawer-front sits flush. Then you push it inward and a
'springloaded click' pushes the drawer front out enough to grab the
bottom of the drawer front.
Close the drawer, push it till it clicks and returns to flush with the
front.

No knobs, no muss, no fuss.
I *think* I saw that in a Hafele catalogue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Aug 2006 20:29:54 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

Which one do you think works best with the table? Or alternatively, do you
have another suggestion for a better pull for the drawer?

Thanks,

David.

I gave it some more thought.

There is a push/push doo-hicky that works like a ballpoint-pen
mechanism. It mounts behind the drawer.
The drawer-front sits flush. Then you push it inward and a
'springloaded click' pushes the drawer front out enough to grab the
bottom of the drawer front.
Close the drawer, push it till it clicks and returns to flush with the
front.

No knobs, no muss, no fuss.
I *think* I saw that in a Hafele catalogue.

For that table, that's a great idea (hey, he's asking for
recommendations). It keeps the lines of the apron clean and uncluttered.
Does that hardware require having the drawer built to accomodate it? If
so, it could be too late. (Well, he could get the sawzall out again).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
[...]

Yes, it looks like there's room to install this latch
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...399,41403&ap=1
with a little modification, if it's possible.
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...egalooedup.jpg
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy"
There is a push/push doo-hicky that works like a ballpoint-pen
mechanism. It mounts behind the drawer.
The drawer-front sits flush. Then you push it inward and a
'springloaded click' pushes the drawer front out enough to grab the
bottom of the drawer front.
Close the drawer, push it till it clicks and returns to flush with the
front.

No knobs, no muss, no fuss.
I *think* I saw that in a Hafele catalogue.

Good Idea, however, I have not found a quality latch. Even the Lee Valley
one is poor quality. (Sorry Rob Lee) I wish I could fing a real high
quality one somewhere for my projects.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

The top one is my first choice of what you listed, but a white knob like #2
might be good also.

The push latch idea has a good deal of merit also.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate: