Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S C&S is offline

Default in defense of square dogs

Recenty the topic of square vs. round dog holes came up (again). It seems
that each time people make the argument that round dogs allow you to do odd
clamping. Round dogs can do this, but so can sqaure ones. Today I had to
hold a "pointed end" workpiece.... something that could not be held easily
by either a round or a square dog.

The solution was a custom holder fitted to both the dog and the workpiece.
It took me about 120 seconds to fish through the scrap bin, scribe the
workpiece, the dog, and to cut it to shape on the bandsaw.

Pics posted to ABPW.

To be fair, I have both round and square holes on my bench. I use the round
holes with hold-fasts to apply downward pressure but generally not for
lateral clamping.

-Steve