Default tile saws/tiles always so out of square?

Cutting these 18" tiles yesterday. The saw itself was about 1/8 inch out
across the full travel but fortunately this could usually be countered, with
a bit of cleverness, by the fact that the tiles were also out of square,
though not by as much.

All in all, while I got the cuts made it was really a frustrating
experience. I expected to be able to set up square cuts against the fence
and cut. Ha. Even the simplest cuts had to be setup by shimming the tile
against the fence and clamping it with a 2x4 scrap and cardboard.

Is this how it usually is for these large tiles? Or did I just get a bum
rental tile saw?

I don't expect saws, especially rental ones, to be square, but I do expect
them to have adjustments to make them square. This saw, an Ihmer, was a
single welded unit. Apparently that's sold as a feature, i.e. "It will
never go out of square." Right, til the first time someone drops it out of
their pickup.
RicodJour

[...]

Imer advertises: " The stainless steel construction of the Combi 250V
II frame structure ensures a rigid, yet light weight saw. Out of the
box it can cut 24" tile or stone to within 1/32", the best in the
business!"

I'd be more concerned with the tile being that far out. You can adjust
the saw for square by shimming or building a jig, similar to what you
did, but out of square tile of that size would be a major pain in the
ass - particularly if you're trying to have tight grout lines.

Always check tile saws for square before you take them from the rental
shop. I stopped renting years ago because of such problems. Now I buy
the tool and either keep it or sell it when I'm done.

Incidentally, here's another question. How do folks usually deal with the
fact that the round blade leaves a bit of waste that has to be trimmed out
of corner cuts? I cut it out by cutting further than the actual cut on the
rear of the tile. This works fine but I wonder if this doesn't leave a spot
that says "crack here!". Do you all just clean it up by hand w/one of these
tile coping saws?

thanks
ml

On 15-Jun-2005, "Mike Lewis" wrote:

I think the poster is referring to inside corner cuts where there is a
small
bit of left over rubble.

exactly.

Having trouble removing old ceramic tile [email protected] Home Ownership 2 January 3rd 05 04:54 PM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM