Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ammonia help needed

Hey chemists in the group,

I've been trying to track down some 26% ammonia for some fuming. I've
tried to find it through blueprinting supply houses with no luck at
all. Apparently the digital revolution is sending blueprinting the way
of the dodo. I've also surfed the 'net for chemical supply house. I
have found many different "flavors" but I can't figure out which flavor
is appropriate and some look very scary. Can anyone post a link that
would take me directly to a product page that has ammonia that is
appropriate for fuming? I would be very grateful for any help on this.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Bear in mind that ammonia fuming was discovered by observing what happens

white oak in livestock stalls... I'm pretty sure that horse and cow ****

isn't
anywhere near 26% ammonia.

If you've ever cleaned horse stalls, particularly one that hasn't been
cleaned in a while, you'll be ready to swear it is.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/13/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hey chemists in the group,

I've been trying to track down some 26% ammonia for some fuming. I've
tried to find it through blueprinting supply houses with no luck at
all. Apparently the digital revolution is sending blueprinting the way
of the dodo. I've also surfed the 'net for chemical supply house. I
have found many different "flavors" but I can't figure out which flavor
is appropriate and some look very scary. Can anyone post a link that
would take me directly to a product page that has ammonia that is
appropriate for fuming? I would be very grateful for any help on this.

Paul

This'll hook you up, Paul.

http://shop2.chemassociates.com/shop...xide.html#2013

What you want is the Ammonium Hydroxide, Lab, Glass Bottle, 1L - Single
Unit
$12.65.

Like the others said, however, this is dangerous stuff. And a normal
OV respirator, like you wear when working with lacquer, etc. won't do a
thing to protect you from these fumes. If you're going to use this
stuff, you *must* have your fuming chamber outside.

I've used it myself, however, and love it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for all the timely replies to my question.

Wood_news, I really appreciate the link, that is exactly what I was
looking for.

For all who expressed concern, I will definitely be fuming outside with
the appropriate mask, goggles, gloves, etc. I will do a follow up post
with the results of my efforts.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Thanks for all the timely replies to my question.

Wood_news, I really appreciate the link, that is exactly what I was
looking for.

For all who expressed concern, I will definitely be fuming outside with
the appropriate mask, goggles, gloves, etc. I will do a follow up post
with the results of my efforts.

Paul

Actually, I did start it - I just never finished it. Here's the page:

http://musial.ws/ammonia_experiment.htm

The stronger ammonia darkened the wood quicker (first batch was 7
hours) but they caught up to each other after 12 hours and stayed even
until 24. After 24, the household never got darker but the blueprint
kept darkening until it turned black.

Here's the other page for a general overview on fuming.
http://musial.ws/fuming.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael P. Hunter wrote:
Try hospital supply houses, laboratory supply houses, or, if you are in a
rural setting, try to purchase some anhydrous ammonia from a farmer or farm
supply

How would you use anhydrous ammonia? It's only a liquid at very high
pressure (roughly 200 PSI at 100* F). The instant it reaches normal
atmospheric pressure it boils.

Posted to rec.woodworking

How would you use anhydrous ammonia?

Easy. Put the furniture you are fuming in a sealed bag. Create an inlet
and an outlet. Pipe in the NH3(g) for a few seconds to purge out most of
the air and then close the inlet and outlet. The atmosphere inside the bag
will be mostly NH3(g).

It's only a liquid at very high pressure (roughly 200 PSI at 100* F). The
instant it reaches normal
atmospheric pressure it boils.

It's also a liquid at -34 oC.

Why do you have to have a liquid? You can also use NH3(g).
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
How would you use anhydrous ammonia?

Easy. Put the furniture you are fuming in a sealed bag. Create an inlet
and an outlet. Pipe in the NH3(g) for a few seconds to purge out most of
the air and then close the inlet and outlet. The atmosphere inside the bag
will be mostly NH3(g).

Or just use the stuff from the grocery store and don't worry about the
DEA or EPA visitng you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Duke of Burl wrote:
Stoutman wrote:
How would you use anhydrous ammonia?

Easy. Put the furniture you are fuming in a sealed bag. Create an inlet
and an outlet. Pipe in the NH3(g) for a few seconds to purge out most of
the air and then close the inlet and outlet. The atmosphere inside the bag
will be mostly NH3(g).

Or just use the stuff from the grocery store and don't worry about the
DEA or EPA visitng you.

And these days, the ATF and FBI too!

Windows replacing: needed scaffolding? Gianfra UK diy 9 May 3rd 13 04:39 AM
people needed work money man UK diy 0 April 14th 06 12:22 PM
telephone wiring HELP needed ! Beowulf Home Repair 34 April 11th 06 02:59 AM
Contractors needed in New Orleans ! [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 21st 05 06:33 PM
Part needed: Kenwood Car Radio KDC-MP625 part needed Klem Electronics Repair 1 September 28th 05 04:27 AM