Posted to rec.woodworking
Duke of Burl Duke of Burl is offline

Default Ammonia help needed

wrote:
Thanks for all the timely replies to my question.

Wood_news, I really appreciate the link, that is exactly what I was
looking for.

For all who expressed concern, I will definitely be fuming outside with
the appropriate mask, goggles, gloves, etc. I will do a follow up post
with the results of my efforts.

Paul

Actually, I did start it - I just never finished it. Here's the page:

http://musial.ws/ammonia_experiment.htm

The stronger ammonia darkened the wood quicker (first batch was 7
hours) but they caught up to each other after 12 hours and stayed even
until 24. After 24, the household never got darker but the blueprint
kept darkening until it turned black.

Here's the other page for a general overview on fuming.
http://musial.ws/fuming.htm