Posted to rec.woodworking
O D O D is offline

Default OT Sort of

Can some one tell me how to get on this newsgroup from a PC. Reason I
ask is I have finally decided to get into the real world and get a PC.
With webtv, it was very simple as I just had to click on woodworking.
Did not have to go to any other site. It will be appreciated . THIA.

Posted to rec.woodworking

O D wrote:
Can some one tell me how to get on this newsgroup from a PC. Reason I
ask is I have finally decided to get into the real world and get a PC.
With webtv, it was very simple as I just had to click on woodworking.
Did not have to go to any other site. It will be appreciated . THIA.

What news reader are you using on the PC?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
O D wrote:
Can some one tell me how to get on this newsgroup from a PC. Reason I
ask is I have finally decided to get into the real world and get a PC.
With webtv, it was very simple as I just had to click on woodworking.
Did not have to go to any other site. It will be appreciated . THIA.

What news reader are you using on the PC?

If you don't want to use a newsreader, you can use groups.google.com -
go there and search for rec.woodworking.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:34:13 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

O D (in ) said:

| Can some one tell me how to get on this newsgroup from a PC. Reason
| I ask is I have finally decided to get into the real world and get
| a PC. With webtv, it was very simple as I just had to click on
| woodworking. Did not have to go to any other site. It will be
| appreciated.

You will want to connect to the internet through an ISP (internet
service provider). When you do that you should ensure that both e-mail
and usenet (newsgroups) are part of the package; and that the
prospective ISP makes available all of the news groups you'd like to
read/post.

Your ISP can and should help you to set up your e-mail and news reader
software. With good phone coaching you should be able to set
everything up in 5-10 minutes.

What he said. Plus you need a newsreader. The newsreader will have
to be told what the names of the news server and email server are.
That's where the guidance from the ISP comes in.

In my case, I use Agent (
www.forteinc.com) and it needs to know the
news server and the SMTP server name for outgoing email messages.

Forte also has Freeagent, but it has a few less features than Agent.

There are plenty of other newsreader programs out there. Everyone has
a favorite. I'm sure you'll hear plenty about that.

Since you're leaving WebTV, you may also need an email client. I use
Eudora made by Qualcomm. You can buy a copy via download from them.
OR use it for free, but then there's a bunch of ads on it. I gave
them money to avoid the ads.

Again, lots of options here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"O D" wrote in message
Can some one tell me how to get on this newsgroup from a PC. Reason I
ask is I have finally decided to get into the real world and get a PC.
With webtv, it was very simple as I just had to click on woodworking.
Did not have to go to any other site. It will be appreciated . THIA.

If you are buying a typical computer with Windows installed, Outlook Express
will also be installed. You can use it for email and for newsgroups. There
are others available, but start with OE and it may be all you ever need (and
it is free).

Now you have to decide where to get your internet service. Can be your
cable company or your telephone company. They can provide you with the
information needed to set up the accounts and the news and mail server
names. Some ISPs even provide software to do that. OE will walk you
through the setup the first time you run it, just fill in the blanks. If
you miss something, or have to make a change, go to the TOOLS menu, select
Accounts, thin fill in the information needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:08:11 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"O D" wrote in message
Can some one tell me how to get on this newsgroup from a PC. Reason I
ask is I have finally decided to get into the real world and get a PC.
With webtv, it was very simple as I just had to click on woodworking.
Did not have to go to any other site. It will be appreciated . THIA.

If you are buying a typical computer with Windows installed, Outlook Express
will also be installed. You can use it for email and for newsgroups. There
are others available, but start with OE and it may be all you ever need (and
it is free).

And if that doesn't work for you, Mozilla has a product called
"Thunderbird" that is a combo email/newsreader for free. Haven't got
around to configuring it yet, but I've been using their browser, and
it actually works- unlike Internet Explorer.

That being said, you're going from webTV to a PC- you've got more on
your plate than newsgroup access, which is getting to be a fairly
arcane task these days. The simple answer is to go to www.google.com,
then click on the "groups" link and type "woodworking" in the search
box. Quick and easy, and it has to be as good as what webTV had to
offer.