Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default First resaw for a purpose and inlay, sort of.

I have been taking down a tree from my back yard that I has always called a
"weed tree". We planted a maple tree in out back yard about 22 years ago
but our Great Dan favored chewing the small limbs off. I put some posts
around it and wrapped chicken wire around it to protect it from the dog.
The tree died and up cam this "weed tree". The tree got web worms often but
was not harmed by them. It shed leaves and any sign of dryness and branches
fell off. Damn ugly if you ask me. Anyway am friend identified the tree
and upon closer inspection it was indeed a fruit tree. Still ugly, I
decided to cut the limbs off and let the trunk set for a while before taking
it down. A little research indicated that the tree is in the Osage Orange
family.

I cut a small chunk off and did some resawing on my Laguna and was
pleasantly surprised to find that the wood is quite yellow in color with
occasional brown streaks. I felt it would be a good wood to use with
walnut.
I posted a picture on A.B.P.W.

With out looking at the file name can you guess what the yellow wood is?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default I blame OE for the first draft that got posted.

I have been taking down a tree from our back yard that I have always called
"weed tree". We planted a maple tree in out back yard about 22 years ago
but our Great Dane favored chewing the small limbs off. I put some posts
around the tree and wrapped chicken wire around it to protect it from the
dog.
The tree died and up came this "weed tree". The tree got web worms often
but
was not harmed by them. It shed leaves at any sign of dryness and branches
fell off often. Damn ugly if you ask me. Anyway a friend identified the
tree
and upon closer inspection it was indeed a fruit tree. Still ugly, I
decided to cut the limbs off and let the trunk set for a while before
taking
it down. A little research indicated that the tree is in the Osage Orange
family.

I cut a small chunk off and did some resawing on my Laguna BS and was
pleasantly surprised to find that the wood is quite yellow in color with
occasional brown streaks. I felt it would be a good wood to use with
walnut.
I posted a picture on A.B.P.W.

With out looking at the file name can you guess what the yellow wood is?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Leon wrote:
ssnipped
I posted a picture on A.B.P.W.

With out looking at the file name can you guess what the yellow wood is?

Looks like Osage to me... Bow wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

The wood Is White Mulberry.