Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default I Made A Chess Piece

Roy inspired me to get started on a chess set. I'd had it in mind
for awhile. I decided to use the Shopsmith design,
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/p...es/90080-3.jpg
but rather than do Dutch turning just cut a master out and rout out my
pieces. Later I'll cut some plywood discs and use them for bases. That
should be a bit of a PITA, getting the discs out of the hole cutter.

I had pasted the patterns on some plywood and rough cut them out.
Tonight I very carefully followed the l ines and cut out a master that I
then used to rout out a king. Learned right off to take very light cuts
and to hold on firmly.

Came out pretty good looking. But then I got back in the house and
started looking it over. It's just a bit off. Not from me cutting
wrong. When I looked over the pattern again I could tell the two sides
on the king aren't quite the same. So printed out two more copies, and
now I'll have to cut each piece out then flip one and get both sides
exactly the same, then glue them to some plywood, carefully cut each one
out and rout them out. A bit irritating, to say the least.

I'm not a perfectionist but I do like to try to decent work. But,
even as is, it doesn't look real bad. A set would be good for out on a
picknick table where it's apt to be forgotten overnight. And a damn
good way to get rid of a lot of those small pieces of wood I been
waiting to find a use for.

JOAT
Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

I agree I have allot of small peices of walnut that were in some boxes in
the attic when I bought this house that was a great idea. Thank you.

Al

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Roy inspired me to get started on a chess set. I'd had it in mind
for awhile. I decided to use the Shopsmith design,
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/p...es/90080-3.jpg
but rather than do Dutch turning just cut a master out and rout out my
pieces. Later I'll cut some plywood discs and use them for bases. That
should be a bit of a PITA, getting the discs out of the hole cutter.

As you probably know some hole saws have a couple of holes in the
top of the saw, You can poke a couple of dowels through them to
push the disc out. SInce you usually have to pound on them to get
it out you may consider cutting a couple of steel rods long enough to
clear the top of the shank It might be worthwhile to enlarge those
holes too, so that a wider dowel can be used.

It is also easier to remove thin plywood discs than thick.
1/4" plywood discs can be stacked and glued after they
have been cut to make a 1/2' or 3/4" base. They'll have
nice hole in the center where you can use a bolt to
clamp and align them.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Sometimes coming here is the equivalent to talking outloud.

And sometimes just to convince yourself that you're not just talking to
yourself again?

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Well, made some minor mods to the patterns, and got most of them
cut out this evening. They're l ooking good.

The king's still giving me some probs. Measured, remeasured, and
re-remeasured. Looked good, so cut the pattern out. Damn if the crown
isn't still just a shade off, even tho I took my time cutting it out,
and fo llowed the lines very nicely. But, no prob, It's just the two
sides coming off the very top, and I'll be able to wrap some sandpaper
around a roll of dimes and get it right in a few minutes. Otherwise the
kng is good. I'll have the last couple masters cut out in a day or so
and start making some chess pieces. Did find a void in a couple of the
pieces, but they're just the right size I'll be able to glue a popsicle
stick in, trim after drying, and viola, perfect. Nothing like using
professional level tools. LOL

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

Hi,

I made a SketchUp model of the pieces to get a feel for how they'd
look. They are not drawn very symmetrical. If anyone considers makig
them, it'd be best to redraw them in a drawing program.

See the model here.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...898cef6f2f0809

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Aug 18, 2006, 7:06pm (EDT-3) (Jim) doth sayeth:
Hi,
I made a SketchUp model of the pieces to get a feel for how they'd look.
They are not drawn very symmetrical. If anyone considers makig them,
it'd be best to redraw them in a drawing program. snip

Not drawy very symmetrical is right. I finally got the king
symmetrical tho, after five tries. I'm finally satisfied with it. The
others only needed minor mods. I've ginally got all the masters cut out
and routed our a knight the other night. Except for a small "lip" under
the jaw, while scrollswing it, it's good. To me the "lip" makes is
remind me of a hawk a bit. I'll sand the lip off the master. Even so
it'd do for a knock-about set. I'll start routing out a piece or two,
as I get the time, until I've got a complete set.

I'm not making them by Dutch turning, if anyone is not sure. I'm
routing them out of scrap plywood, which will give a profile on two
sides, and the other two sides will just show the thickness of the
plywood. I could do the same by scrollsawing the pieces out, but that
wouldn't be near as interesting, and a lot slower. I'll be cutting
discs for the bases as I get time too. I'll probably be using latex
paint rather than staining, but that's to be decided later. I''m
starting to think about some sort of padding, felt or whatever, to put
on the botome of the bases. I've got an old naugahide covered chair I'm
gonna get rid of, so may just use the naugahide from that. Naugahides
are an endangered species now, and I can't afford a hunting trip anyway.
All in all this is a quite satisfying project. Good for the soul ya
know.

Added bonuses: Starting to get rid of a lot of small pieces I'd
not wanted to toss, and I'm putting sawdust into old clothes washing
detergent jugs. The sawdust? Thatl'll be saved and carried in our
vehicles in the winter, ithen use the sawdust if some traction is
needed. A handful or two is ually all it takes. I'm screening the
sawdust first, and saving some of the real fine sawdust for making
sawdust clay - and to get the screws, useful nails, etc. that've
dropped.

more money David Home Repair 0 December 7th 05 07:38 PM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
How Much Wood Are You Willing to “Waste” (Long) charlie b Woodworking 7 March 4th 04 06:05 PM