Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default I Made A Chess Piece

J T wrote:
Roy inspired me to get started on a chess set. I'd had it in mind
for awhile. I decided to use the Shopsmith design,
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/p...es/90080-3.jpg
but rather than do Dutch turning just cut a master out and rout out my
pieces. Later I'll cut some plywood discs and use them for bases. That
should be a bit of a PITA, getting the discs out of the hole cutter.

As you probably know some hole saws have a couple of holes in the
top of the saw, You can poke a couple of dowels through them to
push the disc out. SInce you usually have to pound on them to get
it out you may consider cutting a couple of steel rods long enough to
clear the top of the shank It might be worthwhile to enlarge those
holes too, so that a wider dowel can be used.

It is also easier to remove thin plywood discs than thick.
1/4" plywood discs can be stacked and glued after they
have been cut to make a 1/2' or 3/4" base. They'll have
nice hole in the center where you can use a bolt to
clamp and align them.

--

FF