Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

Default I Made A Chess Piece

I agree I have allot of small peices of walnut that were in some boxes in
the attic when I bought this house that was a great idea. Thank you.

Al

"J T" wrote in message
Roy inspired me to get started on a chess set. I'd had it in mind
for awhile. I decided to use the Shopsmith design,
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/p...es/90080-3.jpg
but rather than do Dutch turning just cut a master out and rout out my
pieces. Later I'll cut some plywood discs and use them for bases. That
should be a bit of a PITA, getting the discs out of the hole cutter.

I had pasted the patterns on some plywood and rough cut them out.
Tonight I very carefully followed the l ines and cut out a master that I
then used to rout out a king. Learned right off to take very light cuts
and to hold on firmly.

Came out pretty good looking. But then I got back in the house and
started looking it over. It's just a bit off. Not from me cutting
wrong. When I looked over the pattern again I could tell the two sides
on the king aren't quite the same. So printed out two more copies, and
now I'll have to cut each piece out then flip one and get both sides
exactly the same, then glue them to some plywood, carefully cut each one
out and rout them out. A bit irritating, to say the least.

I'm not a perfectionist but I do like to try to decent work. But,
even as is, it doesn't look real bad. A set would be good for out on a
picknick table where it's apt to be forgotten overnight. And a damn
good way to get rid of a lot of those small pieces of wood I been
waiting to find a use for.

JOAT
Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.