Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing "Mahogany" Decking For Decorative Use

I have just returned from a neighbor's house, having been invited over
for a BBQ to inaugurate his new "mahogany" deck. I returned home well
fed and with a handful of 4 and 5 foot scraps of 4/4 1x4 decking.
Thought these might make some nice picture frame material when ripped
down but...

....I'm sure this isn't real Cuban mahogany. To be frank it has a similar
pinkish red grain pattern as some luan I have seen. But some of the
grain is rather wavy. After planing and sanding to 220 I find streaks
where the wavy grain is. The wood becomes rather dark and a markedly
blotchy when oiled with either "teak oil" or ordinary mineral oil and
the streaks just don't look good, more like diagonal zebra stripes than
medulary rays.

So my question to the group mind is: How shall a finish this wood to
preserve the pinkish red tone, without greatly darkening or splotching
it and without unduly enhancing the striped figure if it must remain?

Thanks in advance,

Jean

Finishing Wood (Staining Cheerry? Oh No!) WillR Woodworking 9 June 9th 05 02:41 PM
pulling up decking Dundonald UK diy 21 March 7th 05 09:48 AM
Best Book on Finishing? Never Enough Money Woodworking 25 October 20th 04 12:59 AM
Red Oak for Arts and Crafts style? finishing? JMWEBER987 Woodworking 8 May 31st 04 05:00 PM
Composite decking: Trex or WeatherBest? Dave K. Home Repair 3 February 18th 04 03:12 AM