Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Which belt sander?

I need some advice. I have a very old Porter-Cable 3x21 sander. It is very
old and it needs some parts like rubber tires, etc. that are likely NLA.

Should I go with a new 3x21 sander or should I go with a 4x24" sander?

If I go with the 4x24" then should I go with Porter-Cable 362VSK or should I
go with the Milwaukee 5936? The PC is variable speed and the Milwaukee is
not. Is it really worthwhile to get the VS sander? No point in getting
something that is of little to no usefulness.

If a 3x21 is better then should I get the PC 352VS?

I dont use the belt sander all that often but maybe I would use it more often
if it would sand flat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
I need some advice. I have a very old Porter-Cable 3x21 sander.

It is very
old and it needs some parts like rubber tires, etc. that are likely

NLA.

Should I go with a new 3x21 sander or should I go with a 4x24" sander?

If I go with the 4x24" then should I go with Porter-Cable 362VSK or

should I
go with the Milwaukee 5936? The PC is variable speed and the

Milwaukee is
not. Is it really worthwhile to get the VS sander? No point in

getting
something that is of little to no usefulness.

If a 3x21 is better then should I get the PC 352VS?

I dont use the belt sander all that often but maybe I would use it

more often
if it would sand flat.

I've burned up more belt sanders than I can remember.

The Porter-Cable units in your post are garbage, I've burned them out
repeatedly.

Got to the point P-C would no longer rebuild them under warranty.

If you truly need a belt sander, then the Porter-Cable 50* (with or
without dust bag), chain drive unit, is the ONLY one worth having.

It is the most expensive unit out there, but it is also the only one
that will survive hard service.

If you build a lot of tops, a belt sander makes sense.

If you don't, not sure why you would want one.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:H4oCg.5891$xp2.3350
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
[...]

I do some tops but not many probably due to the lack of a good belt sander.
The belt sander is useful for quick removal of material.
Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:

The belt sander is useful for quick removal of material.

As long as you use a belt sander as a stock removal and not a
finishing tool, you will be happy with the "Choo-Choo".

It is a beast that comes to do heavy work, not play games.

Lew