Posted to rec.woodworking

Default router cutting ovals

I have been searching for a router attachment to cut ovals. Have looked
at a few co's attachments and a couple of plans on the web.
My problem however is that the ovals I need do not have a big enough
difference between the length and width.
I am looking at making oval wood frames, various sizes but for example
- 42"long by 38" wide or 48" long by 44" wide.
The prof attachments all seem to have differences like 14" rather than
4".
Any ideas please.
Thanks very much

Posted to rec.woodworking

'Tech',

Simple answer, if you have the time . . . initially.

A FULL SHEET of 1/4in Tempered Hardboard is about $10. You probably have
some white, water-based primer on hand already. There are numerous
web-sites, articles, and 'tips' to making/drawing ovals/eclipses with a
pencil, a piece of string, and a couple of push-pins.

Use a roller, brush, rag, whatever to 'prime' the SMOOTH side of the
hardboard {my preference is a short-nap roller}. Draw your ovals. Then
carefully cut out/file/sand to finished size and use as a 'Positive' or
'Negative' template.

I use this technique to make 'Drawing' {1/8in material} and 'Routing' {1/4in
material} templates. The water-based 'KILZ' primer yields a slightly matt
surface that 'takes' pencil well, and allows clean erasures. Typically I
will 'treat' the edges of the 'Router' templates with epoxy to give a
harder, longer wearing, edge,

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been searching for a router attachment to cut ovals. Have looked
at a few co's attachments and a couple of plans on the web.
My problem however is that the ovals I need do not have a big enough
difference between the length and width.
I am looking at making oval wood frames, various sizes but for example
- 42"long by 38" wide or 48" long by 44" wide.
The prof attachments all seem to have differences like 14" rather than
4".
Any ideas please.
Thanks very much

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Woodhaven makes one that will do what you want. Spendy at about $170.00. If
you want to build something yourself, there are lots of plans around easily
modified to any differential you want.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been searching for a router attachment to cut ovals. Have looked
at a few co's attachments and a couple of plans on the web.
My problem however is that the ovals I need do not have a big enough
difference between the length and width.
I am looking at making oval wood frames, various sizes but for example
- 42"long by 38" wide or 48" long by 44" wide.
The prof attachments all seem to have differences like 14" rather than
4".
Any ideas please.
Thanks very much

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Just ran across this one. Should do what you want.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/l...iteovaljig.pdf

oups.com...