Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Wallace Shaper

Dan Kratville wrote:
My neighbor just gave me a Wallace shaper. Does anyone on here know
anything about these. It seems to work fine.

Like what do you want to know? Wallace was a manufacturer from roughly
1920 or so until sometime in the 40s (but I think they were gone by
WWII). What machines I have seen have been decent, similar to Delta of
the era.

You might look at Old Woodworking Machinery web site and see what Jeff
has found to put up there...

www.owwm.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Dan Kratville wrote:
My neighbor just gave me a Wallace shaper. Does anyone on here know
anything about these. It seems to work fine.

Like what do you want to know? Wallace was a manufacturer from roughly
1920 or so until sometime in the 40s (but I think they were gone by
WWII). What machines I have seen have been decent, similar to Delta of
the era.

You might look at Old Woodworking Machinery web site and see what Jeff
has found to put up there...

www.owwm.com

Thanks for the direction. I guess I am wondering if bits can be found
for this machine. I also don't have any experience using shapers and was
wondering if these work the same as newer models. In other words if I go
on the Internet and learn how to use a modern shaper can I apply the
same techniques to an older machine. It has a fence and basically looks
like a giant router with a spindle sticking out of it. Thanks a lot for
all of your help.

Dan

--
Remove FishBiologist to email
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan Kratville wrote:

Thanks for the direction. I guess I am wondering if bits can be found
for this machine. I also don't have any experience using shapers

and was
wondering if these work the same as newer models.

snip

Whatever you do, remember one thing.

The nickname "widow maker" is well deserved.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dan Kratville wrote:

Thanks for the direction. I guess I am wondering if bits can be found
for this machine. I also don't have any experience using shapers and was
wondering if these work the same as newer models. In other words if I go
on the Internet and learn how to use a modern shaper can I apply the
same techniques to an older machine. It has a fence and basically looks
like a giant router with a spindle sticking out of it. Thanks a lot for
all of your help.

Yes, although for shapers they're normally called "cutters", not
"bits".

Assuming it is, in fact, a spindle shaper (flat table sorta' like a
tablesaw, vertical spindle sticking up) then all you need is to
determine what size shaft it has and there ya' go. I'm assuming at
that age it is probably 3/4" spindle, but that would depend on how
large a machine it actually is.

As for using it, yes, again assuming it is indeed a shaper, there
really is very little difference in newer machines vis a vis the older
ones.

Is the fence with it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Dan Kratville wrote:

[...]

Yes the fence is with it. I posted a picture of it on a.b.p.woodworking
under Wallace shaper. The spindle is 3/8". The plaque on the side of the
machine says the speed is 8500.

You guys are great, thanks!
Dan

--
Remove FishBiologist to email

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Shapers should be taken very seriously. They can be both
very handy and very dangerous at the same time. The cutters
can be had from a number of sources. Shapers tend to be
much more expensive to operate due to cutter cost.

A power feeder is "strongly" recommended for shaper operations,
unless you have one of the fairly small table top versions.

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=809

Is this yours ??? http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=4513

Dan Kratville wrote:

dpb wrote:

Dan Kratville wrote:

[...]

I think that mine is a bit bigger than that one. I posted a picture on
a.b.p.woodworking under Wallace shaper.
Dan
--
Remove FishBiologist to email
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dan Kratville wrote:
dpb wrote:
Dan Kratville wrote:

Is the fence with it?

Yes the fence is with it. I posted a picture of it on a.b.p.woodworking
under Wallace shaper. The spindle is 3/8". The plaque on the side of the
machine says the speed is 8500.

That's good (the fence, that is). Hopefully if is split so can adjust
the two halves independently. W/ a starting pin and collars, one can
do freehand shaping operations as well.

I've never seen a vertical shaper w/ 3/8" shaft--smallest I've ever run
across is 1/2". I am virtually positive you will not find anybody
making shaper cutters for spindles smaller than 1/2" currently (that's
probably a lot of the reason the neighbor "donated" the machine to
you... ). You will be able to use some small 1/2" cutters, but
wouldn't want to try anything very large OD--horizontal panel raisers,
for example, are out.

You will also probably have to either make yourself or have a machine
shop make some "t" collars in order to use a half-inch cutter as I
don't think there's a supplier for anything smaller than 3/4 to 1/2",
either.

If, by any chance, the machine has an interchangeable shaft, I'd
strongly recommend having a 1/2" shaft made for it. If not, at least
you haven't invested a lot in it already. 8500 is pretty slow for a
small diameter cutter as well, but w/ a 3/8" shaft you probably don't
want to push the rpm up much, either.

As for the scaremongers regarding the danger--used properly, a shaper
is no more dangerous than any other whirling piece of sharp high-speed
steel. I have used one for nearly 40 years now almost exclusively
freehand and never had an accident. Like all woodworking w/ power
tools, it must be treated w/ respect and you have to think and operate
safely at all times. Respect, not fear...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opps I meant 5/8"

dpb wrote:
Dan Kratville wrote:
dpb wrote:
Dan Kratville wrote:

[...]

Opps, I meant to say 5/8" spindle not 3/8", sometimes I can be a little
dyslexic with the ruler. The fence is adjustable as you described. So if
I find 5/8" cutters I should be ready to go?

--
Remove FishBiologist to email
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dan Kratville wrote:
dpb wrote:

I've never seen a vertical shaper w/ 3/8" shaft--smallest I've ever run
across is 1/2". ...

Opps, I meant to say 5/8" spindle not 3/8", sometimes I can be a little
dyslexic with the ruler. The fence is adjustable as you described. So if
I find 5/8" cutters I should be ready to go?

Well, the standards are now 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/4, and larger...

I think you're in the same boat except you'll have to buy 3/4" cutters
and make or have made a set of reducing collars to use them on a 5/8"
shaft.

A 5/8" shaft, however, will be plenty stout for most anything you're
likely to want to do with it. The 8500 isn't bad for that size--most
new shapers will be dual-speed w/ roughly 10k rpm for smaller diameter
and somewhere in the 7500 range for large guys like panel raisers.
You're sorta' in the middle. Large cutters will have max rpm specs but
few for a 3/4" spindle will probably be less than that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opps I meant oops

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:

LOL, it appears I am dyslexic in more ways than just the ruler.

--
Remove FishBiologist to email
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Dan Kratville wrote:
dpb wrote:

[...]

OK Thanks for your help guys I will begin searching for the appropriate
parts.

Dan

--
Remove FishBiologist to email
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:31:34 -0700, Dan Kratville
wrote:

LRod wrote:

LOL, it appears I am dyslexic in more ways than just the ruler.

What is that group? DAM? Mothers Against Dyslexics?

Well, thanks for being good natured about it...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1306488 20060727 214846 Dan Kratville wrote:

Opps, I meant to say 5/8" spindle not 3/8", sometimes I can be a little
dyslexic with the ruler. The fence is adjustable as you described. So if
I find 5/8" cutters I should be ready to go?

I used to get in awful muddles with all those fractions of an inch, but since I switched
to millimetres it's been plain sailing.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dan Kratville wrote:
dpb wrote:
Dan Kratville wrote:
dpb wrote:

... 5/8" spindle not 3/8"...

...buy 3/4" cutters and make or have made collars ... for 5/8" shaft.

... I will begin searching for the appropriate parts.

What, specifically are you wanting? As noted, there aren't going to be
any parts for 5/8" shaper spindles--the beast you have is the only one
I know of in existence...

While I'm sure there must be another one or two still around somewhere,
there aren't enough for anybody to make cutters or even the collors for
them as a production item.

3/4" cutters are quite easy to find...any of the better internet places
will have a selection. Personally, I am partial to Amana as they are a
finer carbide and honed to a better initial sharpness than virtually
any other I have used. That comes at a price, however--they ain't
cheapies. Whether they're worth the extra cost over Woodtek or some of
the other imports depends on what level of work you intend to do and,
in large part, on what kind of material you're going to use. If you're
going to be using a softer, nicely working wood (say poplar for
paing-grade moulding), the inexpensive ones will suffice although you
may need some sanding. If, otoh, you're thinking of some neat
mouldings for a grandfather clock case in a hard maple w/ it's maybe
tricky grain, the sharper the better to avoid tearout, etc.

As for collars for reducing to a 5/8" shaft, I think your best hope
will be a local machinist--maybe you could find a metalworking
hobbyist/retired type who would swap some help--where I was before had
several, but I don't have the luxury of having found that at present...

Good luck and let us know what you do (and eventually what you make)...