Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default refinishing old piano

I am looking for a web sight that can explain the process of refinishing an
old piano that is a family heirloom. I will be receiving it shortly.I am not
sure what was used for varnish but I figure that's the least of my future
problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lee wrote:
I am looking for a web sight that can explain the process of refinishing an
old piano that is a family heirloom. I will be receiving it shortly.I am not
sure what was used for varnish but I figure that's the least of my future
problems.

If this is an instrument of any real value other than sentimental, you
may well do more damage to it than restoration if you don't know what
you're up to...as for the exterior finish, my first quess is it will be
a lacquer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:11:52 GMT, "Lee" wrote:

I am looking for a web sight that can explain the process of refinishing an
old piano that is a family heirloom. I will be receiving it shortly.I am not
sure what was used for varnish but I figure that's the least of my future
problems.

You cannot say heirloom and and refinish in the same sentence. Big
faux pax. You say, I have a heirloom that I will get professionally
cleaned and restored. Or you say, I have a piano that needs
refinishing and I will use up some green fence paint. Both of the
above are acceptable.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Lee wrote:
I am looking for a web sight that can explain the process of refinishing an
old piano that is a family heirloom. I will be receiving it shortly.I am not
sure what was used for varnish but I figure that's the least of my future
problems.

If this is an instrument of any real value other than sentimental, you
may well do more damage to it than restoration if you don't know what
you're up to...as for the exterior finish, my first quess is it will be
a lacquer.

And of course, what kind of lacquer do you want? Water based?
Solvent? Are you going to plan on rubbing it out to a mirror finish?
Have you rubbed or polished out a large piece before? 220 sand if
necessary, 400 wet sand, 600 grit wet sand, 1200 grit abralon, 2000
abralon, then start at the show car lacquer rubbing compaounds. This
means that you will have about 10 mil or so of cured finish to work
with before you start.

Are you going black, clear, tinted, dyed or stained? Each one of those
has its own application protocols. Then there are other issues;
repairs to scratches/holes/dents and how to hide them, adding toners to
the laquer, retarders, thinners, and the purchase of the necessary
delivery system to apply some of the more sophisticated finishes.

I would first have the piano looked at for value as mentioned above.
If it is not a priceless antique, then get some quotes on the
refinishing of the piano. Then decide if you want to do it yourself.

If you do to take the plunge, strip, sand, finish and rub out on some
practice pieces of furniture before plowing the piano. Practive with
is the key here with conditions as closely matched as possible to your
project. In that vein, the newest conversion lacquer I am using took
me almost 3 gallons of it ($45 a gallon!) mixing in retarders and
"slow" lacquer thinner and then practice spraying before I could get
the recipes right to compensate or temp and humidity. Practicing your
build coats is always a good thing, too.

In the mean time, here is some interesting reading. Take a look at the
FAQs, and note that for a mirror finish they are suggesting 9
coats of finish to rub down to final degree of gloss.

http://www.pianolac.com/

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

wrote in message ...
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:11:52 GMT, "Lee" wrote:

I am looking for a web sight that can explain the process of refinishing
an
old piano that is a family heirloom. I will be receiving it shortly.I am
not
sure what was used for varnish but I figure that's the least of my future
problems.

You cannot say heirloom and and refinish in the same sentence. Big
faux pax. You say, I have a heirloom that I will get professionally
cleaned and restored. Or you say, I have a piano that needs
refinishing and I will use up some green fence paint. Both of the
above are acceptable.

Pete

I guess I'm just not in the class of woodworking you are. Hope I never am.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess I'm just not in the class of woodworking you are. Hope I never am.

It's not about woodworking. It's about you claiming to shortly
getting your hands on an heirloom. And the thinking it's a good idea
to refinish it - yourself. If you are actually getting an heirloom (
not just some old junk that sat at Aunt Sally's house), Then the best
thing to do is not mess with it. Get the pros in to clean, restore
and tune it. You don't 'refinish' an heirloom. Do you not watch
Antiques Roadshow?

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:

I guess I'm just not in the class of woodworking you are. Hope I never am.

Don't worry about it - you've already proven you won't be :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:11:52 GMT, "Lee" wrote:

I am looking for a web sight that can explain the process of refinishing
an
old piano that is a family heirloom. I will be receiving it shortly.I am
not
sure what was used for varnish but I figure that's the least of my
future problems.

You cannot say heirloom and and refinish in the same sentence. Big
faux pax. You say, I have a heirloom that I will get professionally
cleaned and restored. Or you say, I have a piano that needs
refinishing and I will use up some green fence paint. Both of the
above are acceptable.

Pete

I guess I'm just not in the class of woodworking you are. Hope I never am.

The point he's trying to make is that if the piano has significant value
attributable to its age then don't mess with it unless you're _sure_ you
know what you're doing as making any significant change in the finish can
destroy or seriously diminish that value.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate