Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Check out my Legs! (w/pics)

Nice lookin' shop. Tapers looks good. Tom
David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have not had a chance to work on my kitchen table for a while, today I got
back at it.

I wanted to taper the legs, but I wasn't sure how much to taper them. I laid
out various tapers with painters tape and settled on one that I liked.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/taperlayout.jpg

I am not sure why, but I decided to mortise the legs for the skirt before I
tapered the legs. I cannot believe how much I had to lean on the mortiser to
cut a 1/2" mortise in ash.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...legmortise.jpg

Because the legs are 4" and my table saw only cuts 3" and a bit, I settled
on a two step method for tapering the legs.

First I rough cut the taper on my bandsaw.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...roughtaper.jpg

Then I made a jig to run the legs through my planer. I bashed the jig
together from 1/2" melamine and narrow crown staples. The leg sits in a
channel with a stop at one end and 1-1/2" foot at the other. The leg tapers
1-1/4" and the 1-1/2" foot was the exact height to get the taper I wanted.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/leginjig1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/leginjig2.jpg

You can see the four legs done.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...edlegsdone.jpg

I hope to mill up the stock for the apron and start on it next week.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice, and ingenious use of the tools you have available. Please post
pics when you have a dry fit ready. I'm looking forward to seeing the
assembly together.

Kevin
"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I've used a jointer to smooth out the taper on a table leg after rough
cutting with the band saw.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:

snip

I am not sure why, but I decided to mortise the legs for the skirt before I
tapered the legs. I cannot believe how much I had to lean on the mortiser to
cut a 1/2" mortise in ash.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...legmortise.jpg

Makes the case for loose tenon M&T joinery. Plunge router, upcut
spiral
bit, and edge guide and some stops. Half inch or 3/4" baltic birch
ply
ripped to width, edges rounded over on a router table and just cut
off
what you need. No dado blade, no nibbling - SO much easier.

Question - how the hell do you plan to move this thing once it's all
together?

(You really need to taper off the steroids)

charlie b