Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Milwaukee or Triton for table use?

One of these days I need to upgrade my table router. I am using a Bosch
1617; it is a bit underpowered and can be difficult to adjust.

There is a Milwaukee 3.5hp available new locally for $200. That seems like
a great price, but several people complain on Amazon that the height
adjustment breaks quickly.

The other "premier" table router would seem to be the Triton, but people
complain on Amazon that the quality control is sketchy.

Have either of these problems been overcome recently? The local Milwaukee
price is attractive, but since this will hopefully be the last router I get
for my table, I hope to do it right even if it costs a few dollars more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
One of these days I need to upgrade my table router. I am using a

Bosch
1617; it is a bit underpowered and can be difficult to adjust.

There is a Milwaukee 3.5hp available new locally for $200. That

seems like
a great price, but several people complain on Amazon that the height
adjustment breaks quickly.

snip

Can't comment directly on either product; however, have a local
Milwaukee service center less than 15 miles from me.

Over the years, they have bent over backwards to help me.

I have to assume it is not just local, but a corporate thing.

If you have a local Milwaukee repair center, it would strongly
influence my decision.

YMMV

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
One of these days I need to upgrade my table router. I am using a Bosch
1617; it is a bit underpowered and can be difficult to adjust.

There is a Milwaukee 3.5hp available new locally for $200. That seems
like a great price, but several people complain on Amazon that the height
adjustment breaks quickly.

The other "premier" table router would seem to be the Triton, but people
complain on Amazon that the quality control is sketchy.

Have either of these problems been overcome recently? The local Milwaukee
price is attractive, but since this will hopefully be the last router I
get for my table, I hope to do it right even if it costs a few dollars
more.

The early Tritons did have some problems that the manufacturer took care of.
I have had one for 2 years and have had no problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"Toller" wrote in message
One of these days I need to upgrade my table router. I am using a Bosch
1617; it is a bit underpowered and can be difficult to adjust.

There is a Milwaukee 3.5hp available new locally for $200. That seems
like a great price, but several people complain on Amazon that the height
adjustment breaks quickly.

The other "premier" table router would seem to be the Triton, but people
complain on Amazon that the quality control is sketchy.

Have either of these problems been overcome recently? The local
Milwaukee price is attractive, but since this will hopefully be the last
router I get for my table, I hope to do it right even if it costs a few
dollars more.

The early Tritons did have some problems that the manufacturer took care
of. I have had one for 2 years and have had no problems.

I have a Hitachi M12V in my table and have no complaints. The price is right
too. Got mine on Amazon.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I'd get the big Hitachi if I were going to replace what I have. Good track
record in this use and can't beat the price.

"Toller" wrote in message
One of these days I need to upgrade my table router. I am using a Bosch
1617; it is a bit underpowered and can be difficult to adjust.

There is a Milwaukee 3.5hp available new locally for $200. That seems

like
a great price, but several people complain on Amazon that the height
adjustment breaks quickly.

The other "premier" table router would seem to be the Triton, but people
complain on Amazon that the quality control is sketchy.

Have either of these problems been overcome recently? The local Milwaukee
price is attractive, but since this will hopefully be the last router I

get
for my table, I hope to do it right even if it costs a few dollars more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
One of these days I need to upgrade my table router. I am using a Bosch
1617; it is a bit underpowered and can be difficult to adjust.

There is a Milwaukee 3.5hp available new locally for $200. That seems
like a great price, but several people complain on Amazon that the height
adjustment breaks quickly.

Not cheap, but this will end your adjustment problems
http://www.benchdog.com/prolift.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Not cheap, but this will end your adjustment problems
http://www.benchdog.com/prolift.htm

And you *know* it's not cheap considering prices aren't easily found.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Not cheap, but this will end your adjustment problems
http://www.benchdog.com/prolift.htm

And you *know* it's not cheap considering prices aren't easily found.

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...4195_13211+808

$329

They had a cheaper model (that I have) but it has been discontinued for some
reason.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

And you *know* it's not cheap considering prices aren't easily found.

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...4195_13211+808

$329

Add on the cost of the router and it's starting to get into some serious
money. It does look like a very hefty unit though. Any comments you can make
on the unit that you have?

On a side note, for their international shipping, I'm gratified to see that
Canada had the cheapest rates so at least they're not taking the opportunity
to gouge every client.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

And you *know* it's not cheap considering prices aren't easily found.

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...4195_13211+808

$329

Add on the cost of the router and it's starting to get into some serious
money. It does look like a very hefty unit though. Any comments you can
make
on the unit that you have?

On a side note, for their international shipping, I'm gratified to see
that
Canada had the cheapest rates so at least they're not taking the
opportunity
to gouge every client.

The one I have was an aluminum body. IIRC, it was about $200. I use a
socket in my drill to run it up fast for bit changes, run it back down to
close to where it should be. Then I use the speed wrench for the final
adjustment.

It is easily adjusted in very small increments with the provided gauge. It
can be zeroed out from any setting. It holds the settings perfectly no matt
how much wood you pas over the bit. I can't think of a single negative, nor
would I want to be without one again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

It is easily adjusted in very small increments with the provided gauge.

It
can be zeroed out from any setting. It holds the settings perfectly no

matter
how much wood you pass over the bit. I can't think of a single negative,

nor
would I want to be without one again.

Thanks. What router are you using with it? If it didn't cost you anything,
would you switch that router (in this lift system) for another brand?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

Thanks. What router are you using with it? If it didn't cost you anything,
would you switch that router (in this lift system) for another brand?

I have a Bosch 1617EVS. It has been very good, I got it at a good price at
the time. It has done everything I've needed done so far, but I've not done
any raised panels. If I ever do get into heavier work, a 3 HP would be
good, either PC, Milwaukee, or any of the "better" brands.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.com...

"Upscale" wrote in message

Thanks. What router are you using with it? If it didn't cost you
anything,
would you switch that router (in this lift system) for another brand?

I have a Bosch 1617EVS. It has been very good, I got it at a good price
at the time. It has done everything I've needed done so far, but I've not
done any raised panels. If I ever do get into heavier work, a 3 HP would
be good, either PC, Milwaukee, or any of the "better" brands.

I've been using the 1617EVS for 3 years. I find the magnesium corrodes and
it gets difficult to adjust. If yours doesn't, you are fortunate. Also, if
you ever do a raised panel you will definitely want more power.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
I've been using the 1617EVS for 3 years. I find the magnesium corrodes
and it gets difficult to adjust. If yours doesn't, you are fortunate.
Also, if you ever do a raised panel you will definitely want more power.

Corrosion is not a problem as it is mounted in the lift. The lift does the
adjusting and the motor is just clamped into it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
I have a Bosch 1617EVS. It has been very good, I got it at a good price

at
the time. It has done everything I've needed done so far, but I've not

done
any raised panels. If I ever do get into heavier work, a 3 HP would be
good, either PC, Milwaukee, or any of the "better" brands.

Ok thanks. I read on the Bench Dog site in the PDF manual for the Pro Lift
that Milwaukee routers were not compatible with it. Keep it in mind should
you ever decide to upgrade for making raised panels.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Toller" wrote in message
I've been using the 1617EVS for 3 years. I find the magnesium corrodes

and
it gets difficult to adjust. If yours doesn't, you are fortunate.

Considering his is in a lift, corrosion won't be of any concern.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

"Toller" wrote in message
One of these days I need to upgrade my table router. I am using a Bosch
1617; it is a bit underpowered and can be difficult to adjust.

There is a Milwaukee 3.5hp available new locally for $200. That seems
like a great price, but several people complain on Amazon that the height
adjustment breaks quickly.

Not cheap, but this will end your adjustment problems
http://www.benchdog.com/prolift.htm

But so will either router. And no lift is going to solve the under powered
situation that he is looking to solve.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
Not cheap, but this will end your adjustment problems
http://www.benchdog.com/prolift.htm

But so will either router. And no lift is going to solve the under
powered situation that he is looking to solve.

True, this is just a part of a solution. One of many options.

Sawzall: Milwaukee vs Hitachi vs ? Eric Home Repair 18 June 18th 05 01:33 PM
Best modern Router table Router? [email protected] Woodworking 21 February 24th 05 06:01 AM
Triton Respirator irwin Woodturning 0 November 16th 04 12:50 PM
Another great tool company (Milwaukee) going down the drain Wally Woodworking 33 October 8th 04 03:15 AM
Is milwaukee router insrt plate mounting hole pattern same as porter cable pattern Rich Woodworking 1 July 22nd 03 04:22 AM