Eric

Default Sawzall: Milwaukee vs Hitachi vs ?

I'm looking to get a Sawzall type saw. My immediate use will be lots of
tree trimming and cutting branches into small pieces to go to the curb.
After that it will be diy around the house stuff. I'm not a
professional contractor but I do like to get decent tools that will last
and peform well.

So far I'm looking at:

1. Milwaukee 6509-22 http://tinyurl.com/akz3t which is the lowest
Milwaukee model. Locally I can get it for $119. This has a 3/4 inch stroke

2. Hitachi CR13V http://tinyurl.com/82lrm which is Hitachi's lower end.
Local price is $89. this has a 1 1/8 inch stroke.

I've looked at a Bosch but didn't see the need for the rotating collar
(although the saw was comfortable to hold) The collar seems a gimmick
that is more likely to break than be useful.

I've also looked at the 6 amp Makita JR3000 which I think costs about
the same as the Milwaukee and thus didn't seem to be a good deal (I
could be wrong).

Any opinions on what I should get? Are there others I should consider?
Is the Milwaukee that much better than the Hitachi? Thanks in advance.

Eric
Bill Waller

On Thu, 05 May 2005 14:50:05 -0400, Eric wrote:

[...]

Don't get me wrong, I love my Milwaukee Sawsall, but I never consider it for
trimming trees and/or branches. It is just too heavy.

Last year I purchased a Homelite cordless combo kit that included a branch
trimmer (reciprocating saw on a pole), a small chain saw, and a hedge trimmer.
They have all worked well. I was even able to cut off a 7" cherry log with the
chain saw. The kit came with two batteries, one for the tool, and one for the
charger.

As far as owning a reciprocating saw for construction, I would not have
anything but my Milwaukee. It is just not a good tool in the garden. :-)

____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Stormin Mormon

Harbor Freight has them about twenty bucks, now and again. If you only need
it once.

Sears used to have electric chain saws about sixty bucks.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

IBM5081

My first "sawzall" is the PC Tigersaw with the switchable orbital
action. I still have it, it still works and does a good job. It was
purchased new.
My second "sawzall" is a rebuilt Milwaukee Super Sawzall with the
counterweight. Both saws have the keyless blade chucks and have had few
problems. Sometimes pliers are needed to loosen the chuck if it gets
too tight.
I would say that a reciprocating saw is an excellent tool for the
garden even on a ladder; safer than an equivalent chain saw. The tool
weight is less of an issue when the blade can rest on the limb to be
cut. It will get heavy in use overhead or when holding onto the saw
while pulling cut limbs out of the way.
One benefit to the recip saw is that if a blade gets pinched into a
cut, you can disconnect from that blade, put in another blade and cut
the first one free from another angle. Most chain saws do not come with
a spare bar.
The other tools mentioned may be better at outdoor tasks but have
little use inside or with lumber containing nails.

stretch

I have used Sawzalls since I was a teenager in my family's Plumbing &
heating business. They do the job and last forever. There may be
other good brands, but why take a chance.

Stretch

Josh

"Eric" wrote
[...]

I'm on my 2nd Milwaukee sawzall in 14 years, and would buy another. They've
seen some heavy usage.

Can't compare a Hitachi sawzall, but do have a Hitachi sheathing stapler,
brad nailer, and a finish nailer. I really like these guns. Had a Senco
finish nailer and a brad nailer, and the Hitachi is more balanced IMO. I
may buy a Hitachi sawzall next time around, unless I see some negative
remarks about them.

Unrevealed Source

To clarify - you are looking for a recipricating saw. "Sawzall" is a
trademark of Milwaukee. Sort of like Kleenex, a lot of people call
recipricating saws a Sawzall.

The choice of the pros, and genrally considered the best, is the Milwaukee.

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

borgunit

I believe Hitachi is getting out of the power tool market. Check out
their web site. As for Milwaukee, they are great. When I purchased
mine, they had a lifetime warranty. I see they have changed it to 5
years. 5 years is still fantastic for a power tool and I can attest
that my Super Sawzall is running great after 9 years now. I have cut
the occasion limb with it, but they do feel a little awkward doing
it. Milwaukee does sell pruning blades for them though.

I beat the hell out of Porter Cable recip. saw and it comes back for
more. Real good saw for only a 100.00 at home depot.

Tom

Eric

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I went ahead and picked up the
Milwaukee. The Hitachi seemed fairly solid too but the Milwaukee was
more comfortable to hold (Hitachi was rather bulbous where one holds it
near the blade end) and the Milwaukee had the added bonus of being the
consensus pick for best.

A chainsaw may be in my future as well but I decided the Sawzall was the
most versitile tool (and I thought of 3-4 immediate uses beyond the
initial pruning).

Again, thanks.
Eric

Eric wrote:
[...]

Heathcliff

I have a Milwaukee sawzall and like it. But for what you're doing, I
would probably use a bow saw. (The kind with a sort of curved L-shaped
metal handle and the blade strung across, cost about $10.) Not as sexy
but you can operate it with one hand, and you get some exercise too.
It will go through the branches almost as fast. Even if you get the
sawzall, you might want to get one of these too. Lets you just pick up
and do small trim jobs without fetching an extension cord, etc.

-- H

HeatMan

"Mike" wrote in message
news
If it is a toss-up, why don't you buy from an American company?

Call me crazy, but this is always a consideration for me (and I drive a
Nissan). Recent refrigerator purchase came down to an LG and an Amana
manufactured in Iowa. LG was slightly cheaper but we went with the Amana
for that very reason.

Ain't many people out there like you.

I'll also buy an American product over an 'import' if the price is close.

5p5 5p5 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgunit
I believe Hitachi is getting out of the power tool market. Check out
their web site. As for Milwaukee, they are great. When I purchased
mine, they had a lifetime warranty. I see they have changed it to 5
years. 5 years is still fantastic for a power tool and I can attest
that my Super Sawzall is running great after 9 years now. I have cut
the occasion limb with it, but they do feel a little awkward doing
it. Milwaukee does sell pruning blades for them though.
I've been a plumbing contractor for almost 30 years, and I've never ever been treated so badly by anyone as by Milwaukee when I took a sawzall in for repairs. Without going into details, that one incident will forever keep me from buying anything that says Milwaukee on it. I don't know what caused this, I wasn't rude or pushy, just wanted to get a sawzall repaired. I wrote to the company headquarters about it, and got a less-than-worthless reply.

I have had very good luck with Hitachi tools and am sorry to hear that they may be leaving the business.
Tony Hwang

5p5 wrote:
borgunit Wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
I am using Porter & Cable saw. So far so good.
I think De Walt(B&D) is not so good lately?
Tony
rnr_construction

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
5p5 wrote:
borgunit Wrote:
[...]

Makita makes a **** poor excuse for both a sawz all, and a worm drive saw.
Stay far far away from those 2 tools
altho most of the other makita tools are good

Tony Hwang

5p5 wrote:

borgunit Wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I noticed most Makita is made in China.
Tony
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Porter cable is a fair prod for the money. Milwaukee has a bad habit of not
standing behind prods and just ripping people off.

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
5p5 wrote:
borgunit Wrote:

[...]

Bob G.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:28:45 -0400, "ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy"
wrote:

Porter cable is a fair prod for the money. Milwaukee has a bad habit of not
standing behind prods and just ripping people off.

Guess I have to scratch my head...on your Milwaukee comment...???

I own quite a few Milkaukee products and never had any problems with
the tools or with getting service when I needed it... I

Bob G.
Phisherman

wrote:

Porter cable is a fair prod for the money. Milwaukee has a bad habit of not
standing behind prods and just ripping people off.

I have a Milwaulkee Sawzall and Milwaulkee corded drill. Both
excellent high-quality well-built products. Personally I did not feel
ripped off. I bought these 10 years ago. But, sometimes companies
can and do cheapen their products to increase profit. Probably I stay
clear of Taiwanese, Korea or China-made power tools. Japan, USA, and
Canada, Germany-made tools are generally better.