Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta 11-990 DP bearing source question

Hello group,

Does anyone have an alternate source to Dewalt/Delta Service.net for
bearings for this model drill press? I'm hearing odd rattling noises
coming from the area beneath the spindle pulley. It sounds to me like
the bearings are going bad. I checked with the Delta website and they
want $22/each for the bearings. I'm hoping I can find a bearing
source that will have the equivalent bearing for less.

Also, any input regarding how difficult it is to replace them would be
appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dale wrote:
Hello group,

Does anyone have an alternate source to Dewalt/Delta Service.net for
bearings for this model drill press? I'm hearing odd rattling noises
coming from the area beneath the spindle pulley. It sounds to me like
the bearings are going bad. I checked with the Delta website and they
want $22/each for the bearings. I'm hoping I can find a bearing
source that will have the equivalent bearing for less.

Also, any input regarding how difficult it is to replace them would be
appreciated as well.

Ball bearings are sold by standard size defined by OD, ID, and race width.

All sizes are metric.

You should be able to get bearings from any baering supply house.

$22 may be a little high, but probably not by much.

You need a bearing puller pull the old bearings and an arbor press if
you expect to install new bearings without brinelling them.

Got somebody in the neighborhood you can barter with?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Dale wrote:
Hello group,

Does anyone have an alternate source to Dewalt/Delta Service.net for
bearings for this model drill press? ...
Also, any input regarding how difficult it is to replace them would be
appreciated as well.

Ball bearings are sold by standard size defined by OD, ID, and race width.

As well, there are OEM bearings that are not standard and additional
features/styles/etc., including shield, material(s), tolerances, etc.,
etc.

All sizes are metric.

Except for those that aren't...

You should be able to get bearings from any baering supply house.

Again, assuming they aren't an OEM-"oddball". Likely they are a
standard, but not guaranteed. Going to a bearing supply is the right
choice, though.

$22 may be a little high, but probably not by much.

Not sure of the particular press by the model number so don't know how
large/heavy they are--probably correct the cost differential very
likely won't be huge.

You need a bearing puller pull the old bearings and an arbor press if
you expect to install new bearings without brinelling them.

Will need puller or press to remove them undoubtedly. Depending on
design and tolerances, quite probably would be able to reinstall them
carefully w/ just a block and some care.

Many bearing supply/distribtors have machine shops associated and will
do so if don't want to or don't have the handy neighbor/buddy whose
services are securable w/ the correct beverage...

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Dale wrote:
Hello group,

Does anyone have an alternate source to Dewalt/Delta Service.net for
bearings for this model drill press? ...
Also, any input regarding how difficult it is to replace them would

be
appreciated as well.

Ball bearings are sold by standard size defined by OD, ID, and race

width.

As well, there are OEM bearings that are not standard and additional
features/styles/etc., including shield, material(s), tolerances, etc.,
etc.

There are but it is extremely unlikely that a non standard bearing would be
used in common drill press.

All sizes are metric.

Except for those that aren't...

Agreed. To split hairs though, the inch is defined as a fraction of the
meter. This being the case, one could say that inches are a metric unit.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dale" wrote
in message news:iMYtg.101$Oj.32@trnddc05...
Hello group,

Does anyone have an alternate source to Dewalt/Delta
Service.net for
bearings for this model drill press? I'm hearing odd
rattling noises
coming from the area beneath the spindle pulley. It
sounds to me like
the bearings are going bad. I checked with the Delta
website and they
want $22/each for the bearings. I'm hoping I can find a
bearing
source that will have the equivalent bearing for less.

Also, any input regarding how difficult it is to replace
them would be
appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

Get the numbers off the bearing and go to
https://reidecom.reidtool.com/xephr/qbe/homepage and do a
search for the number. Also do a Google search for the
number and the word "bearing".

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I have access to a bearing
puller and press so I'm not too concerned about getting them on and
off the spindle. I am a little concerned about how to get the thing
out though. I'm looking at the parts drawing and it looks like I'd
need to remove the pinion gear assembly to get the spindle out. If
that's the case I'd need to also remove the spindle spring. That part
concerns me. My experience with removing springs from all things
mechanical is that they tend to shoot across my shop faster than
kicked back lumber while I'm removing them. The spring would wind up
lost after that. :-)

Can the spindle be removed without pulling the pinion gear? The parts
drawing isn't too clear to me as to how the spindle can be removed.
Does it just drop out of the quill after the nuts holding it in are
removed?

One other thing. After looking over the unit again it appears to me
that the quill has quite a bit of vertical play in it. Is there some
sort of lash adjustment that can be made to improve this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.accuratebearing.com/

Have the bearing "in front of you" when you call.
The numbers can be VERY hard to read at times but
on some, very easy.

The numbers are all the folks need to get a replacement.

Tbe $22 is not that expensive for hard to find bearing....

Dale wrote:

Hello group,

Does anyone have an alternate source to Dewalt/Delta Service.net for
bearings for this model drill press? I'm hearing odd rattling noises
coming from the area beneath the spindle pulley. It sounds to me like
the bearings are going bad. I checked with the Delta website and they
want $22/each for the bearings. I'm hoping I can find a bearing
source that will have the equivalent bearing for less.

Also, any input regarding how difficult it is to replace them would be
appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat,

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the info. Agreed that $22 isn't much
for a bearing, but if I get into the machine and find I need to
replace the upper and lower bearing and possibly more, I'm probably
going to get into this for more money than I should probably spend. I
start thinking about buying a new tool when I start to shell close to
half of what new one would cost (upper, lower and spindle bearing $66
+ shipping). Not exactly half but getting there. :-) I really won't
know until I open it up.

Cheers,

Dale

Posted to rec.woodworking

There is a huge group of folks that are really into
old machines and rebuilding....

http://www.owwm.com

Look around for your drill press and see what it can
really look like.