Posted to rec.woodworking
Dale Dale is offline

Default Delta 11-990 DP bearing source question

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I have access to a bearing
puller and press so I'm not too concerned about getting them on and
off the spindle. I am a little concerned about how to get the thing
out though. I'm looking at the parts drawing and it looks like I'd
need to remove the pinion gear assembly to get the spindle out. If
that's the case I'd need to also remove the spindle spring. That part
concerns me. My experience with removing springs from all things
mechanical is that they tend to shoot across my shop faster than
kicked back lumber while I'm removing them. The spring would wind up
lost after that. :-)

Can the spindle be removed without pulling the pinion gear? The parts
drawing isn't too clear to me as to how the spindle can be removed.
Does it just drop out of the quill after the nuts holding it in are
removed?

One other thing. After looking over the unit again it appears to me
that the quill has quite a bit of vertical play in it. Is there some
sort of lash adjustment that can be made to improve this?