Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oops

I had a computer crash a couple of days ago and
had to reinstall my news reader. I just noticed my
previous 2 posts used "Occupant" instead of
"Wood Butcher".
Blame, curses, and invectives will be cheerfully
received as usual.

Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wood Butcher wrote:

I had a computer crash a couple of days ago and
had to reinstall my news reader. I just noticed my
previous 2 posts used "Occupant" instead of
"Wood Butcher".
Blame, curses, and invectives will be cheerfully
received as usual.

Art

Oddly, the same thing happened to us. In fact, I was beginning to think
that an EMP had occurred. Our computer, satellite receiver, and TV all
went into the dumper. Sigh. Maybe a wood burning TV is the answer.
twitch,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 23:16:44 GMT, "Vic Baron" wrote:

Sheesh! What a bozo! Glad I never make mistrakes like that.

Well, at least it makes those of us who are prefect look good. ;-)

Vic

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
I had a computer crash a couple of days ago and
had to reinstall my news reader. I just noticed my
previous 2 posts used "Occupant" instead of
"Wood Butcher".
Blame, curses, and invectives will be cheerfully
received as usual.

Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
.. Maybe a wood burning TV is the answer.

Those work well. You'll find that hickory will give you the best
picture.
We got ours with the remote poker and the rotor chimney on top of the
mast.
You have to be careful with what you watch. I have burnt some Yankee's
Woodshop down to the ground a few times.

I go to bed now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Somewhere I learned that error checking or parity type memory is designed to
protect against cosmic rays, way up in the EM spectrum, and rarely happens
to anyone anywhere. How infrequently, from where these rays come from and
what they're like and whether this is the primary design consideration for
this hardware I don't know, but would like to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bent" wrote in message

Somewhere I learned that error checking or parity type memory is designed

protect against cosmic rays, way up in the EM spectrum, and rarely happens
to anyone anywhere. How infrequently, from where these rays come from and
what they're like and whether this is the primary design consideration for
this hardware I don't know, but would like to.

Nope - error check in all of its forms (whether it's parity, ECC, CRC,
checksum, etc) is all about checking for picked or dropped bits, regardless
of the cause. Error checking really does not know about, care about outside
causes, and was not created with any one cause in mind over any other.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

actually it was probably stated, wherever I read about it, that the only
way it ever occurs was through the above, and therefore the hardware was
basically not req'd

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "bent" wrote:
actually it was probably stated, wherever I read about it, that the only
way it ever occurs was through the above, and therefore the hardware was
basically not req'd

Whether it's "required" or not depends on how important it is that the machine
remain up, and the data remain uncorrupted.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

I know little about cosmic rays and the EM spectrum, but if this is all
true, I'd have about as much chance of getting hit by a comet or asteroid.
For what its worth my ram runs around PC4400, FSB1120, DDR560. Its gold
platerd to protect it from alien intrusion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article...smic%20ray&ct=
asteroids and comets are at least home in our solar system, let alone our
galaxy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

don't believe me, google "error checking parity cosmic rays"

Bill Maher Cliff Metalworking 340 March 11th 06 01:23 PM
OOPS #2,741 charlie b Woodworking 12 February 26th 06 06:39 PM
OT - The New Wars Martin H. Eastburn Metalworking 0 November 10th 05 02:58 AM
oops [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 3rd 05 03:58 PM
Shelf standards oops Dukester Woodworking 19 December 6th 04 06:22 PM