Posted to rec.woodworking
Marv

Default Is the Oneida Cyclone worth the difference in price?

I am contemplating buying an Oneida 3 hp Gorilla cyclone. Is it worth the
difference in price compared to the Grizzly or Penn State systems?

Thanks for your input.

Marv

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Don't have one but sure would like to (they're located about 15 miles from
me) but one of these days I will.

Bob S.

"Marv" wrote in message
I am contemplating buying an Oneida 3 hp Gorilla cyclone. Is it worth the
difference in price compared to the Grizzly or Penn State systems?

Thanks for your input.

Marv

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:43:59 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

Don't have one but sure would like to (they're located about 15 miles from
me) but one of these days I will.

Bob S.

"Marv" wrote in message
m...
I am contemplating buying an Oneida 3 hp Gorilla cyclone. Is it worth the
difference in price compared to the Grizzly or Penn State systems?

Thanks for your input.

Marv

I don't know either, but I'm hoping to get a day at IWF late summer to
crawl all over them and decide. I'm also in the market. Part of a
shop expansion that would, among other things, make room for a central
dust collection system.

I'm led to believe the Gorilla line is mostly imported components and
I don't know what would distinguish them from the other imports. I'm
more interested in the original line, possibly a 2HP version or having
them sell me on the design difference in the Gorilla line.

I'm a one or two machine at a time operation and I'm interested in
some innovative gating and piping system design help that would let me
run the smallest unit possible to get effective dust collection. I'm
told they are good at that and that may be the value in the additional
cost.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Frank Boettcher wrote:

I'm led to believe the Gorilla line is mostly imported components and
I don't know what would distinguish them from the other imports. I'm
more interested in the original line, possibly a 2HP version or having
them sell me on the design difference in the Gorilla line.

They've got a comparison page up. The main differences between the
(Super) Gorilla and Grizzly seem to be seam vs stich welding, option of
Baldor motor, aluminum impeller.

I'm a one or two machine at a time operation and I'm interested in
some innovative gating and piping system design help that would let me
run the smallest unit possible to get effective dust collection. I'm
told they are good at that and that may be the value in the additional
cost.

Have you looked at these guys? They use power sensors to open motorized
gates to only the machines that you turn on, as well as controlling
power to the dust collector.

http://www.ecogate.com

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
KENDALL SEYBERT

IMHO, the best place to start looking is
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...oneReviews.cfm
Bill appears to be quite knowledgeable about all systems, pro and con.

--Jim S.