Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default Another small victory

The 3HP motor from my Katrina submerged Unisaw fired up the other day.
Required $80 bucks for new bearings, new capacitors, new centrifical
switch, plus a flush and bake, but not bad to recover a motor that had
only been turned on once on the assembly line to check rotation.

The submerged GPE started it after a cleaning and a good dry out. I
was amazed at that because it still had water in the plastic case
three weeks after the storm when they finally let us in to check on
things.

Now if I can get that stock feeder to go.

A little at a time!

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

The 3HP motor from my Katrina submerged Unisaw fired up the other day.
Required $80 bucks for new bearings, new capacitors, new centrifical
switch, plus a flush and bake, but not bad to recover a motor that had
only been turned on once on the assembly line to check rotation.

The submerged GPE started it after a cleaning and a good dry out. I
was amazed at that because it still had water in the plastic case
three weeks after the storm when they finally let us in to check on
things.

Now if I can get that stock feeder to go.

A little at a time!

That's Good news! After losing my house in Allison 5 years, 10 days, and 13
hours ago +/-, my hat's off to you. Into each life a little sun must shine,
occasionally.

But not here in Houston this morning, where it looked almost like an Allison
re-run. Once again, glad I made damn sure the finished floor of the new
house is 4' 6" above grade.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:03:48 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Once again, glad I made damn sure the finished floor of the new
house is 4' 6" above grade.

Yeah, but how far above sea level :~)

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:06:50 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:03:48 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Once again, glad I made damn sure the finished floor of the new
house is 4' 6" above grade.

Yeah, but how far above sea level :~)

Sea level's not the problem ... as Boudreaux would say: "it's the all dem
damn bayous 'tween here and dere".

I hear that. My Mother in Law lives a good three miles from the Gulf
but close to Brickyard Bayou and Bayou Benard. She is at about 13
foot elevation. Got 18" during Camille and seven foot for Katrina.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:03:48 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Once again, glad I made damn sure the finished floor of the new
house is 4' 6" above grade.

Yeah, but how far above sea level :~)

Frank

Swingman and I are about 10 miles apart. I am 81' above sea level. But
like Swingman says, its how fast the bayous drain that determines if you get
flooded or not.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Frank Boettcher wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:03:48 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Once again, glad I made damn sure the finished floor of the new

house is 4' 6" above grade.

Yeah, but how far above sea level :~)

Frank

I'm about 7000' above sea level. No sweat. Also the humidity runs at
about 25%. We have an humidifier.
potato chip,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:49:44 -0500, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

The 3HP motor from my Katrina submerged Unisaw fired up the other day.
Required $80 bucks for new bearings, new capacitors, new centrifical
switch, plus a flush and bake, but not bad to recover a motor that had
only been turned on once on the assembly line to check rotation.

The submerged GPE started it after a cleaning and a good dry out. I
was amazed at that because it still had water in the plastic case
three weeks after the storm when they finally let us in to check on
things.

I'll bet Gary Parks would like to hear about that. I assume you know
him or know of him...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

wrote:

The 3HP motor from my Katrina submerged Unisaw fired up the other day.
Required $80 bucks for new bearings, new capacitors, new centrifical
switch, plus a flush and bake, but not bad to recover a motor that had
only been turned on once on the assembly line to check rotation.

The submerged GPE started it after a cleaning and a good dry out. I
was amazed at that because it still had water in the plastic case
three weeks after the storm when they finally let us in to check on
things.

I'll bet Gary Parks would like to hear about that. I assume you know
him or know of him...

I know him. Good guy.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:26:24 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:03:48 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Once again, glad I made damn sure the finished floor of the new
house is 4' 6" above grade.

Yeah, but how far above sea level :~)

Frank

Swingman and I are about 10 miles apart. I am 81' above sea level. But
like Swingman says, its how fast the bayous drain that determines if you get
flooded or not.

Yeah, one of my sisters used to live off the Northwest freeway. After
three floods in about 8 years, property got condemned and she was
bought out. Something about an overdevelopment problem.

I think those Bayous used to do a better job before all that concrete
and asphalt showed up.

Frank