Posted to rec.woodworking
Colin Jacobs

Default Boiled Linseed Oil

Please could someone tell me the benefits of Boiled Linseed oil. I am
currently fitting out a new workshop & am looking to treat the wood with a
preservative. What are the benefits of the oil other it's nice smell

Thanks

Colin.

--
East Coast Nature Guides
Lowestoft

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bjarte Runderheim

Colin Jacobs wrote:
Please could someone tell me the benefits of Boiled Linseed oil. I am
currently fitting out a new workshop & am looking to treat the wood with a
preservative. What are the benefits of the oil other it's nice smell

If you apply it correctly it hardens well, giving a good surface against
damp and water, but still lets air through, (it breathes, like Gore-tex)
so the wood dries underneath the oil.

It is cheap (relatively), takes pigment very well, so you can make your
own paint from it (by adding pigment and some thinner).

BUT: Do not put it on thick, then it never gets hard, and you have a
sticky surface for ever.

BjarteR
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:56:09 GMT, "Colin Jacobs"
wrote:

Please could someone tell me the benefits of Boiled Linseed oil.

None.

Linseed yellows with age, is hard to apply and doesn't give a
hard-wearing surface. For general workshop use you're probably better
with a commercial Danish oil (like Liberon's), a long oil varnish mix.
For better work with oil finishes then use a commercial blended
finishing oil based on Tung oil.

For outdoor garden furniture, go with a commercial product with UV
sunlight resistance. I like the Australian Organoil range from
Axminster.

As always, don't apply oil too thickly or it will dry tacky and be a
problem to fix. In this weather just re-coat quickly with thin coats
instead - won't take long at all.

I am
currently fitting out a new workshop & am looking to treat the wood with a
preservative.

What against ? Oils have minimal protective qualities and no
preservative quality. If you want to protect the surface, go for the
oil+varnish mixes. If you want a minimally invasive finish, then use a
blended finishing oil (maybe with Danish oil over it), but don't expect
a pure oil finish to form an impervious skin over the timber.

You shouldn't need a preservative in a workshop, just fix the source of
damp or bugs instead. But if you do, maybe on timbers from a leaky roof,
then look at the commercial mixes of Fungal Death Brew.

Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap? David P UK diy 95 May 11th 06 10:29 AM
Boiled Linseed Oil rock Woodworking 7 June 1st 05 09:21 PM
Tung vs. linseed donald girod Home Repair 7 November 7th 03 08:22 PM
Tung vs. linseed Bannerstone Home Repair 1 November 5th 03 04:30 PM