Posted to rec.woodworking
Bjarte Runderheim

Default Boiled Linseed Oil

Colin Jacobs wrote:
Please could someone tell me the benefits of Boiled Linseed oil. I am
currently fitting out a new workshop & am looking to treat the wood with a
preservative. What are the benefits of the oil other it's nice smell

If you apply it correctly it hardens well, giving a good surface against
damp and water, but still lets air through, (it breathes, like Gore-tex)
so the wood dries underneath the oil.

It is cheap (relatively), takes pigment very well, so you can make your
own paint from it (by adding pigment and some thinner).

BUT: Do not put it on thick, then it never gets hard, and you have a
sticky surface for ever.

BjarteR