Posted to rec.woodworking
R. Pierce Butler

Default barn plans - gambrel roof - free

I am looking for a source of some free barn plans that feature a gambrel
roof. The reason I am looking is that I have a small 15x30 barn and I think
that a few shortcuts were taken during construction and would like to verify
and correct those shortcuts. For instance he used a single 2x12 for the main
support beam. It is currently bowed downward. I plan to correct that soon.
I find the lack of trussing/ceiling joists? disturbing as well. I could take
some pictures if anyone cares.

Thanks

Pierce

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 6/8/2006 8:31 AM R. Pierce Butler mumbled something about the following:
I am looking for a source of some free barn plans that feature a gambrel
roof. The reason I am looking is that I have a small 15x30 barn and I think
that a few shortcuts were taken during construction and would like to verify
and correct those shortcuts. For instance he used a single 2x12 for the main
support beam. It is currently bowed downward. I plan to correct that soon.
I find the lack of trussing/ceiling joists? disturbing as well. I could take
some pictures if anyone cares.

Thanks

Pierce

I built my 16x24 shed with a gambrel roof with no trusses, and if done
properly, isn't a problem. I even have a 2' extension out the front to
hook a hoist to so I can lift things upstairs from the outside. I've
loaded in excess of 300 lbs off this without any movement in the joists.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Posted to rec.woodworking
R. Pierce Butler

Odinn wrote in
:

[...]

I think I didn't describe my concern correctly. There are no beams or
joists tying the outside walls to the center beam. As a result the long
outside walls have started to bow outward sort of like this..
\__/ but not as exaggerated of course. I have corrected this
temporarily.

That combined with the fact that the original builder depended on nails to
provide support for the main beam and other major load bearing items has me
second guessing everything. Most of the aggregious errors I have corrected
but I am not famliar with the gambrel design and how it works. I think I
will take some pictures and put them up somewhere. Maybe they will serve
as an example of how NOT to build something.

Pierce

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 6/9/2006 2:37 AM R. Pierce Butler mumbled something about the following:
Odinn wrote in
:

[...]

Put them on abpw.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Isn't relying of someone else's plans kinda like painting by paintby numbers? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 57 August 27th 03 04:54 PM
*** Rec.Woodorking Mini-FAQ, *** 121, now lead free! David F. Eisan Woodworking 3 July 31st 03 09:48 PM