Posted to rec.woodworking
R. Pierce Butler

Default sealing a new shop entry door

I am installing a new entry door for my shop and the floor is a concrete
slab. What sort of caulk or sealing method would be best to seal between the
door sill and the concrete floor?

One fellow I met mentioned some sort of asphalt based sealant. Another
person mentioned putting a 1/2 inch of pressure treated lumber between the
door sill and the concrete floor.

I am not concerned about clearances for carpeting as this is for a workshop.

I just don't want air or water seeping in under the sill.

What is the best way to deal with something like this?

Thanks

Pierce

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

If you check the installation instructions for your new door it should
recemmend silicone and the best method to apply it. Just remember to lift
the door over the caulk and drop it in place rather than slide it in across
the caulk or you'll have a big mess. --dave

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
I am installing a new entry door for my shop and the floor is a concrete
slab. What sort of caulk or sealing method would be best to seal between
the
door sill and the concrete floor?

One fellow I met mentioned some sort of asphalt based sealant. Another
person mentioned putting a 1/2 inch of pressure treated lumber between the
door sill and the concrete floor.

I am not concerned about clearances for carpeting as this is for a
workshop.

I just don't want air or water seeping in under the sill.

What is the best way to deal with something like this?

Thanks

Pierce

Posted to rec.woodworking
marson

my standard procedure is to place a large bead of caulk under the
threshold when i put the door in (after i've made sure it fits, etc.
since it is protected from UV, what caulk you use isn't that important,
though the best is probably something like NP1 or Sikaflex or something
like that.

Posted to rec.woodworking
skeezics

On Sun, 28 May 2006 06:08:11 GMT, "R. Pierce Butler"
wrote:

I am installing a new entry door for my shop and the floor is a concrete
slab. What sort of caulk or sealing method would be best to seal between the
door sill and the concrete floor?

One fellow I met mentioned some sort of asphalt based sealant. Another
person mentioned putting a 1/2 inch of pressure treated lumber between the
door sill and the concrete floor.

I am not concerned about clearances for carpeting as this is for a workshop.

I just don't want air or water seeping in under the sill.

What is the best way to deal with something like this?

Thanks

Pierce

there is a pan specifically designed for this.looks like a { Z }.
silicone under the pan for keeping the critters out. any blowing rain
that gets under the door has no place to go but back out.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
I am installing a new entry door for my shop and the floor is a concrete
slab. What sort of caulk or sealing method would be best to seal

between the
door sill and the concrete floor?

snip

If you want it to last, I'd avoid silicone, asphalt or any of the other
household caulks.

My choice would be a marine adhesive such as SikaFlex 291 or even a
polysulfide caulk like BoatLife.

Find a local marine chandlery such as West Marine.

Even Home Depot will have 3M 5200.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

wrote:

I am installing a new entry door for my shop and the floor is a concrete
slab. What sort of caulk or sealing method would be best to seal between the
door sill and the concrete floor?

I always use PL Polyurethane, on recommendation from a fella who has
been doing doors and windows for 20+ years. Seems to work fine.